1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't condescend nearly as well as you do. That bit is different.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It used to matter more to me than it does now. Now, people are so predisposed to insert their own meaning into things, regardless of intent, that how something is received could be off base in a way that's close to purposeful.

Again - when you start judging stuff based on how people's emotions react to it, you're handing over culture to the strength of one's will.

You're handing it over to Trump.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't invent the phrase "perception is reality."

4. outofplace

It is part of the story. Another part is the actual words we do know, which clearly were insensitive.

We know what he said that was insensitive. Despite your claims to the contrary and his own lies, the family confirmed it. Please stop trying to blame the reaction on the family. President Trump gave them additional reason to be upset. Whether intentional or not, he made a horrible time in their lives worse.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I reject this premise.

"He knew the risks, and nonetheless enlisted and selflessly gave his life for his country."

Stoney likes this.
  6. outofplace

Has it come out anywhere that he said that, or are you still relying on speculation to make up a narrative that better fits your argument? Because when you brought this up before, the second part was pure fiction that you came up with.

By the way, if you are still making up part of the comment, it really is misleading for you to put it in quotation marks. Perhaps I'm risking more of you ire, but I thought I should take advantage of this teachable moment to help you out.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Have people accused him of taunting? What I believe and have seen from most is that this is a very lazy man baby that, we assume, put no thought into what he would say to grieving families. That he bragged about being the only President to ever call every family obviously led to close scrutiny. As far as I know, other presidents never boasted about calling the families. In fact it is clear to anybody not in the tank for this dummy that Trump was the one that tried to score cheap points by using the grieving families.

As far as people hating you, it appears as if you have a rather high opinion of yourself. I find you annoying at times (and very interesting at other times) but honestly don't think of you enough to hate. After all you are just a guy on a message board like the rest of us. But if it makes you feel important to think we hate you by all means continue with the delusion.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I googled that sentence and the only thing that came up was this thread.

Double Down and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Remarks by the President at Graduation of Columbus Police Division's 114th Class

The job you signed up for is not easy. It can mean long shifts and late nights. It demands focus, and determination, and great bravery in the face of unknown dangers. When you run into that building or chase down that suspect, you will be risking your own life in order to protect the lives of men and women you have never met, and some that you may never know.

But you knew all that when you joined the academy. You knew the risks involved, you knew the sacrifices required, and yet you stood up and said, ‘I’ll take that risk. I’ll make that sacrifice. I will do that job.’

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

We're the same, though.

11. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

What does this have to do with anything?

12. Dick Whitman

Why does it appear that way?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.