1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Isn't it insensitive?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

When my dad died, someone tried to use it as a "teachable moment" and encourage my brother to quit smoking. I'm sure it was well intentioned, but it came off as, "Hey, your dad was stupid for smoking and now look at him. Don't be like that." To which, my brother responded, "Fuck off, asshole."

"Time and place" didn't just become a thing in our society. Neither did basic decorum. Neither did people taking things differently than they were intended.

It is what it is. Get over it.

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Obama praises hero NYPD cop and girlfriend during ceremony

“They’ll tell you they’re not heroes,” Obama said of the full group. “They’ll say they were just doing their job. And today we honor them as top cops because they are half right. It’s true they were just doing their jobs. From the moment they swore an oath to serve with honor, from the first time they put on a uniform and put on a badge, they knew they might be called upon to do some really tough stuff.

“But I think that makes them more heroic, not less heroic, because they signed up for this,” Obama said. “They volunteered.”

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm shocked that people would interpret something differently when said by someone who doesn't have a whole lifetime of evidence suggesting he's nothing but a vile, self-serving pig.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

It is not misleading. I am not "relying on speculation to make up a narrative that better fits your argument[.]" We are aware of snippets of Trump's conversation: "He knew the risks." "He knew what he signed up for." If the argument is that Trump was insensitive, then it is fair to hypothesize some likely ways in which those phrases can be used inoffensively - like Obama used them.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You are missing Dick's point. And you're the one jumping to a speculative conclusion here, not him, by repeatedly stating that "we know" something we actually do not know.

Dick simply illustrated that by showing that the phrase certainly can be used in a logical context that is not insensitive at all (and one that I suspect better represents his actual intent).

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

RIP Context.

I know this is a word place, but let me diagram how the same words can be used differently. When Obama said it, he was complementing and extolling the people he was talking about who were ALIVE. When Trump said it (as it was reported admittedly) it came across dismissively to someone who was grieving someone who DIED.

10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

In order for someone to hate you they would have to care/think about you. Why would anyone care about you?

melock likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

I Like The Cut Of His Jib !!: Dan Shanower - 9-11-01 - Gone, Not Forgotten

“Those of us in the military are expected to make the ultimate sacrifice when called. The military loses scores of personnel each year. Each one risked and lost his or her life in something they believed in, leaving behind family and shipmates to bear the burden and celebrate their devotion to our country… They knew the risks they were taking and gave their lives for something bigger than themselves.”

-- Cdr. Dan Shanower, Feb. 7, 1961 -- Sept. 11, 2001

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

No it isn't. If I recall correctly, Trump said he never said those words. He called the congresswoman a liar. We then learned that he did say it but it was misinterpreted. So Trump was a liar again. Excuse me if I assume he put zero thought into his comments and offended a grieving family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.