1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Are some of you getting paid to be here?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I mean we don't know what the context was. Is it possible he said it dismissively? It's definitely possible. It's also possible that he was trying to convey appreciation.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

so now you at least know what I am referring to, so here is my post again. I still say you did indeed tell us we were wrong in our interpretation, but my main point is now you want to make up whole sentences for him, from things you did not even hear him say to the people in the car.

""""You want to tell some of us that we interpreted something, that we heard from his own mouth, incorrectly and then you want to make up something you think he said to interpret something none of us heard.""""""""

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Former Republican POTUS openly criticizes the current one. Seems like that should be a bigger deal around here.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

again basically you are trying to put words in his mouth (trump) yet are not believing the words he actually says. (re consent) Are you known to be a contrarian? Serious question.

6. Dick Whitman

What am I doing that anyone else isn’t? We have a few raw words, separated from any kind of context, that Trump said. The words themselves, freed from context, are not offensive or insensitive. People have to supply the context. Posters have conjectured their context. I’ve counter-conjectured context in opposition.

Stoney likes this.
  7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

I reject your premise.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

OK. So, we choose who to believe - the grieving family or the serial liar.

OK. So, we choose who to believe - the grieving family that was directly involved, a serial liar, or a far-removed, anonymous internet message-board poster.

10. Dick Whitman

I don’t know anything about the grieving family.

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's a pretty damn big deal. It usually doesn't happen.

Just another sign that nothing matters anymore when it comes to the Moron in Chief.

It would be nice if the man-baby would put down his phone and at least try to do his job.

But he has no idea what he signed up for. And no interest in working.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is completely false. Dick has acknowledged Trump said the only words we know he said. And (unlike others here) he acknowledges that we do not know the context in which the phrase was said (or intended).

Sorry, folks, but Dick is right here. Simply having spoken those words doesn't necessarily mean he said anything inappropriate. There are multiple feasible contexts in which that phrase could've been used: One of which logically makes perfect sense for a president making a condolence call to a grieving widow, another that makes no sense at all (do you really think he called her to taunt?).

Yet, y'all seem eager to believe it the one that makes no sense instead of the one most logical simply because we've decided everything about Trump always must be construed in the worst way imaginable.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.