1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He probably figured it was the second biggest accomplishment of his administration after naming Gorscuh to the Supreme Court.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No, I think the prevailing takeaway should be that most men don't realize they're being awful, but in fact are. That's exactly the kind of combative perception that will cause a lot of men to tune out, thus making the whole campaign less effective.

At that point, it doesn't matter what the "Me Too" folks intended to happen.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

FBI uncovered Russian bribery plot before Obama administration approved controversial nuclear deal with Moscow

Don't know if it was posted earlier, but the President tweeted about it. A Russian was bribing and taking kick-backs from US companies interested in buying and selling uranium. A lot of dangling threads with Mueller, Rosenstein, Clinton, Holder and others among those making decisions related to how things unfolded. Not sure the main thrust is that Clinton pushed this thing to get a nice donation for the Foundation, or that Mueller is compromised and should be removed from the investigation or what.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, the congresswoman could have called the WH and privately let them know that the widow was upset.

Or she could go to the media, call him unfit, and mentally ill.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I think the likeliest scenario is that Trump tried to freestyle the conversation, attempted to tout the bravery of knowing the risks, and bungled it in classic "Two Corinthians" fashion.

But given his track record with inflammatory statements and his popularity among minorities, it's not inconceivable that the soldier's family might perceive his attempt at consolation as an insult.

I think it speaks to Trump's total lack of qualification to be president by any personal, political, or intellectual metric. I don't doubt his intentions in this particular case, but he probably deserves criticism for half-assed execution. So while I think it's symptomatic of his incompetence, I can't fault those of other political strata to hit back at the idea of Trump taunting a widow. His behavior with the Khans, deplorable as it was, was a reaction.

Besides, the real issue here should be Trump's casually tossed-off lie about no other president calling the families of fallen soldiers. I think @YankeeFan likes to fuck with us and I think he skirts the line between devil's advocate and troll at times. But the conversation moved from Trump's lie to his alleged taunt of a widow not because YF steered it there, but because Trump has to literally be Hitler at all times.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Story debunked multiple times before the 2016 election. It's fake OLD news.

7. YankeeFan

This seems like the calm, respectful, non political way of dealing with this:

"It's disgraceful for him to even tweet about this," she told CNN. She added a personal insult: "And as I say, this gentleman has a brain disorder and he needs to be checked out."

Dick Whitman likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

LOL. You might want to familiarize yourself with the new reporting.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We actually do know what he said, which was confirmed by the family, and that he offended them with his insensitivity. I'm actually sticking to what we know.

Dickie is making up a potential quote to fit his argument. I didn't miss his point. I called it out as the misleading bullshit that it is. He made up part of the quote, but put all of it in quotation marks. That was misleading.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You used the word "no," here, but you actually agreed with me.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was a hypothetical quote intended to illustrate how the words that are confirmed could have conceivably been deployed with respectful intentions. I didn't intend for anyone here to accept that it was the actual, confirmed quote, and I would hope that no one did.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.