1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

OK. So, applied to Trump's situation, that means, best-case, he's incapable of effectively conveying basic human empathy, and worst-case, he was purposely demeaning a Gold Star family.

That's all I've been saying all along.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Again - you agree with me, but have to find some weird way of explaining it.

"Most men do awful things" = "Most men are awful."

"Most men wouldn't be awful if they didn't do awful things" STILL = "Most men are awful."

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

One thing you did was take the part we know he said and add the part you made up and put it all in quotation marks without an explanation that the second bit was fiction written by you. That was misleading.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Or ... the grieving widow was incapable of recognizing basic human empathy, right?

This is an instance where I actually feel some sympathy for Trump. That's a tough phone call to make. You're stepping on eggshells to begin with, and he doesn't exactly have a light touch.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was clear to the hinged what I was illustrating.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Context and history matter. YF's history helped to fuel that reaction.

Granted, his spin wasn't quite as misleading as yours, so give him credit there.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I wasn't particularly offended by what he said to the widow but, then, I'm not the widow.

It gets really tricky - perhaps shameful on my part - when I might suggest that even if she was offended, maybe she shouldn't have been. But I'm willing to at least entertain the idea. Maybe that makes me a horrible person. (But, then, I'd be a horrible person 146 times over by the standards of some, so I might as well be over-analytical me)

In more than a few cultures over the centuries, the death of a warrior was a mixture of sorrow and pride; that is, that death was honorable and noble, and that "knowing what you signed up for" is a sign of honor.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Shrug. Fight for the end of the electoral college then, I guess.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

She's not wrong. Other than her use of "gentleman." That word should stay out of Trump's pussy-grabbing range.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm sure this story would've played out the exact same way if he had said, "The entire country joins me in sending our deepest sympathies and understanding during this time of unspeakable loss and bereavement."

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.