1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's pretty clear now that someone told him he HAD to call her, and he pouted his way through a half-assed call just to get it over with and say he did it, knowing he could always lie about it later and his supporters would never believe a black woman over him.

2. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

This is the kind of response that serves no purpose. Have people really been promoting the idea that Trump tried to troll the widow? I just have not seen that view much. He is a stupid man that shows no signs of feeling empathy and he probably went in unprepared. That is very different than trolling. He mouthed off about calling every family and then he had to play catch up because, of course, he was lying. This is a terrible look for the President and could be very dangerous in other situations but this time it "just" resulted in a grieving family being hurt. Stop with the trolling crap.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Fox News does love him. (Though I agree that the new media is all about being first and not accurate.)

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hanlon's Razor, dude ...

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Looks like any crimes Mueller finds are going to be unrelated to the Trump campaign, and will likely include as many Democrats as Republicans.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The content of the call is a third-tier story, imo. It's plausible that a grieving widow took more offense than was necessary (and it's also plausible that Trump, being a mentally ill narcissist, was grossly boorish too).

The pathological, reflexive, easily disproved lying in response to the story being brought up is a much bigger story, and the story behind the soldier's death at the very least warrants investigation.

Big Circus and Dick Whitman like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes (see below), but @RickStain has it correct in the post above mine - the reflexive lying is the real problem. "I didn't say that." Why not something like the following:

"I did use those words, but in a context in which I believed I was conveying gratitude. I regret that I was apparently unable to accomplish that. For the record, we are all, myself included, deeply indebted to the sacrifices of soldiers like Mr. Johnson, and I pray that she finds some manner of comfort in this difficult time."

Just once, take the damn high road. Once. But I guess if he did, he wouldn't be president. Therein lies the Hobson's Choice.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The real problem here is totally the pregnant, grieving widow being a meanie to the president.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

How many razors are there?

And which one has the most blades?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Whether or not he taunted her on the phone call, his response is taunting.

Big Circus and LongTimeListener like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yes. Now she's crossed him. Now she deserves it.

All national politicians are a cult of personality to a certain point. I'm sure Obama would have maintained a level of support, for example, regardless of what he said or did. But it's an interesting and simultaneously terrifying exercise to see just how boorish and unstable a President or presidential candidate can be and still maintain a certain level of undying support. I still maintain that the fact that he's a famous person from teevee is no small part of it.

FileNotFound likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Or he could just shut the fuck up and not even respond.

SpeedTchr, TowelWaver and SnarkShark like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.