1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

She messed with the bull. She gets the horns.

[​IMG]

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Trump wishes his fingers were that long.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Based on what?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look, again, some of the ways Trump handles things I don't support, wouldn't recommend, and won't defend.

The thing is, this is Trump. We shouldn't be surprised by it. He thinks it works for him, and in total, it probably does.

If he wasn't this combative, he probably doesn't win the primary and/or the general election.

But, yes, we have a dispute over how a grieving widow, who I think was literally on her way to pick up her husband's remains, interpreted the tone of voice of someone, who she's never spoken to before, in her moment of grief.

I fully believe she thought his tone was callous and/or disrespectful.

But, instead of the congresswoman calling the WH, she accused him of deliberately being disrespectful. She passed along one phrase, out of context, from the conversation, and the press ran with this as evidence that Trump was in fact disrespectful.

It's absurd.

That the President lashes out at criticism is not an excuse for the press to assume the worst in every circumstance, or to draw conclusions from a conversation based on one snippet of it, in which we can't discern the tone.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

And an isolated incident, no less!

7. YankeeFan

Who's facing criminal charges besides the folks who were working for Ukraine, well prior to the campaign?

Maybe Flynn, but his charges won't be related to the campaign either.

The only campaign related charges we might see are going to be against the folks at Fusion GPS and will involve the fake dossier.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Routinely disrespectful doesn't mean always disrespectful.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's been easy to lose track of this story, but trying to unspool it, it seems like the alleged phrase (Hi @franticscribe!) that initially set Wilson and Johnson off was not "He knew what he was signing up for," but, "I guess." And this is interesting, because it seems that just about everyone - self included - zeroed in on, "He knew what he was signing up for" as the offending phrase, when even Wilson and Johnson don't seem to be expressing that the phrase, in isolation, is necessary disrespectful.

I can't tell if that is supposed to be a verbatim quote, or Wilson's representation of Trump's tone.

Fallen soldier’s mother: ‘Trump did disrespect my son’

On Tuesday, Wilson told The Washington Post that Trump had told Johnson’s widow, “He knew what he was signing up for, but I guess it hurts anyway.”

“He made her cry,” Wilson said.

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

This is the equivalent of Old Tony and Devil thinking that Steven Avery of Making a Murder fame was guilty in the one murder, because of his previous actions -- or that we might as well lock him up in this case, even if we don't have the evidence because he's a bad guy.

It becomes a self-fulling prophesy. Trump must be in the wrong in every circumstance because we believe he was in the wrong in every previous circumstance, and we no longer need evidence to convince us of his wrongfulness in the current situation. And, each passing incident, in with a judgement was rendered without evidence, serves as evidence in the next incident.

11. YankeeFan

Well, that was succinct compared to what I said.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Zealotry in the pursuit of removing a mentally ill man from the office of the Presidency is no vice.

HanSenSE, Smallpotatoes and Riptide like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.