1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Like freqposter!

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

No. It seems that, perhaps Trump didn't articulate what Kelly had passed on to him about what Joe Dunford had told Kelly when his son was killed.

Obviously, Trump was trying to credit Johnson for volunteering for service despite the risks, but it was somehow taken as a cruel reminder by the family.

Wilson told NBC Miami on Tuesday that Trump’s call was “insensitive,” saying, “Everyone knows when you go to war you could possibly not come back alive, but you don't remind a grieving widow of that.”

Soldier's widow says Trump couldn't remember her husband's name

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Yep. Not his fault.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Why isn't the bigger picture being discussed?

What is the US doing in Niger?

Is the USAF really about to put B-52s on constant, in the air, alert from Guam like the Cold War Chrome Dome operation?

The media needs to focus more on meat and not fluff. Issues not individuals and identity politics.

lakefront likes this.
  5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

you forgot some...

“I heard him stumbling on trying to remember my husband’s name, and that’s what hurt me the most because if my husband is out there fighting for our country and he risked his life for our country, why can’t you remember his name?” Myeshia Johnson told ABC's "Good Morning America." “And that made me cry even more.”

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, sure, but that reaction to the phrase seems to flow from his supposed tone, i.e. the spoken or unspoken "I guess."

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's "not his fault"?

I've not said that I defend how Trump has responded.

But, let's not dismiss how this became a story, how it was politicized, and how the press handled it.

It's really easy to decide Trump is an awful person when he's the only one whose actions and motivations are scrutinized.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

None of this would've happened if the president of the United States could go more than five minutes without telling an egregious and easily refutable lie.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You keep saying you aren't defending him, but nearly every post you've made today about this situation strongly implies that you believe his reaction is justified or, at least, understandable. There are literally zero justifications, real or hypothetical, for the way he has acted here and at other times.

You voted for an idiot. I understand there are reasons why you felt like you needed to vote for an idiot. But stop trying to pretend that you didn't vote for an idiot.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    JC, HanSenSE, BadgerBeer and 10 others like this.
  10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Actually, yes, let's dismiss it. Because Trump *is* an awful person, and more specifically dangerously unfit for the crucial office he's been placed in. That is infinitely more important than slapfights over journalistic ethics.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

So does the president.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The media doesn't have to do its job until the president acts more presidential.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.