1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Any possibility that Ward and/or Moore get the Todd Akin treatment from voters? Like, they’re too moronic even for 2018?

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Oh, Moore SHOULD get his ass kicked. He's unqualified and a bigot.

But we've seen this movie before.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I hope so. But not holding my breath either. Seems like nothing is too moronic these days.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Agreed. The thing is that people in Alabama have known he was a nutcase and a loose cannon for quite a while. The business Republicans, non-tea party types, were not comfortable with him but expected Luther Strange to win. Now Moore is the nominee to represent the state, and under more scrutiny things continue to come out. The entangled finances at his non-profit and his tax issues have recently been a topic.

Today, it's this:
    Roy Moore Says Gay Marriage Ruling Is 'Even Worse' Than 1857 Pro-Slavery Decision | HuffPost

Moore says that the Supreme Court's gay marriage decision was worse than the ruling in the Dred Scott case.

With a little luck he'll dig the hole to bury himself.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This.

Some day, YF is going to make an unqualified admission that his boys did something unquestionably wrong -- no buts -- and monkeys are going to fly out of my ass.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Hmm. So establishment Republicans are going to be uncomfortable with a total nutjob who got the nomination. I wonder if they'll stop the total nutjob from serving in an important federal office, or if they'll rally round the laundry...

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Asked and answered. RNC and RSCC signed agreement to jointly fund raise for and donate to Moore.

10. Neutral Corner

Cuts? What cuts?

In years past if the Democrats wanted to pass anything that cost money, the Republicans demanded to know where the cuts to offset the spending were. Heard anything about that lately? Me either. If they do propose cuts, I figure they start with Medicaid and Medicare. Mostly they're going to spend a shitpot full of money on Defense and to offset that, they're going to cut the hell out of taxes, with 80% of that going to the top 5%.

I still have not forgotten the GWB tax cuts, the ones that were passed based on the projected cost over ten years and were not going to blow up the budget because it was written into them that they would sunset in ten years. As soon as they passed, the GOP started work on removing the sunset date and making them permanent.

Both sides spend money like water. It is hard for me to see much difference between "Tax and Spend Democrats" and "Cut Taxes and Spend Republicans", other than the Dems being a bit more honest about it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    bigpern23 likes this.
  11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes, one of the most memorable political cartoons I saw had the caption of a Democrat/Liberal pointing to someone else "take his money."

We simply cannot give this massive tax cut to the upper 1% and then hold spending constant, doesn't make financial sense.

Even worse, is passing the cuts, then cutting the $$ for the poor. I simply wonder why the working poor continue to vote in people like Trump who then pass legislation that kills (maybe literally) the very voters who elected them.

12. Neutral Corner

Yup. I'm talking about the Alabama voters. We all know that they're crazy enough to vote Moore in, that's already been proven. The question is more on the order of "How many Republicans in Alabama will listen to their brains and hearts and get off the couch to vote against Moore?".

I think that it's a given that the Dems are going to be motivated to vote, even if it's a forlorn hope.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.