1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Wow, now both Flake and Corker bow out. Where the hell was this conscience during the 2016 election?

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Major Secret Service fail here.
    I am amazed the guy was charged with "unlawful conduct." Well, yeah. Would he be arrested and charged with "lawful conduct?"
    Reminds me of the Seinfeld joke, "Just once, I want to hear that an escapee from prison is armed and gregarious."

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about the Bama seat - if enough establishment GOPers stay home or vote for Jones, the seat is up again in two years.

The other thing about the tax cut paying for itself thing - it's they never account for a recession. We're already at the end of one of the longest uninterrupted periods of growth in a while.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

Doesn't Moore win simply by emphasizing abortion and the necessity of keeping a GOP majority in the Senate in order to ensure a conservative replacement for Kennedy in a year?

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Some will. Maybe not enough, but not a small number, either. Remember, Strange or another Republican gets at least 60-65 percent of the vote.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting Republicans would vote for laundry?!

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's as if some of you never paid attention to politics until January.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Moore probably wins simply by continuing to breathe and not getting caught with the proverbial live boy or dead girl.

There are a number of people in Alabama, across a wide spectrum, who just plain don't like Roy Moore and consider him an embarrassment. I think that the Democrats are going to be hopeful enough to turn out more than they usually would, partly out of hope and partly because of distaste for Moore. I think that's likely to motivate at least some of the black vote as well.

On the Republican side, it won't be enough for those who don't like Moore not to vote for him. He's going to get at least as many votes as in the primary, and probably more. The only way that he loses is if enough Republicans just can't stomach electing him. Moore himself as well as Trump's antics will play into that.

I truly don't expect a Democrat to win. The basic word on Facebook is "As long as Doug Jones is pro-abortion I'm not going to vote for him." I do think that the race is going to be closer than expected.

11. tapintoamerica

So Doug Jones is tied in the polls. Let's see what kind of closer he is. Those soft-tossing closers never scared me much.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Like most everyone else, they probably didn't anticipate the Russians would interfere and hand the election to Trump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.