1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'm not saying all Republican voters are like that, I'm saying Trump's win has convinced Republicans that's the way to go in elections, that tribalism has replaced pocketbook issues as a voter motivation. Look at super country club Republican Ed Gillespie's campaign for Virginia governor. It's all fear of scary brown people and nothing on how he'd make the state work better. It's a technique of purely psychic gratification with no material rewards.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It's an issue because of facts. The timeline was misrepresented repeatedly. Including by Tapper and this is his make-up tweet. Probably just a coincidence, though.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Even anti-Trump Republicans will never abandon "but both sides" since to do so would be to repudiate their own identities.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I live in Virginia. You are a tad uninformed.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

So you think Russian dealings are fine depending upon who's involved?

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I don't know. I don't watch a ton of broadcast TV, but I have been recently with the baseball playoffs, and I've never seen a Gillespie ad that didn't reference MS-13.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not exactly true. Gillespie has a weird obsession with MS-13 based mostly on inaccuracies, but he's talked plenty about the economy and taxes and such.

Cosmo likes this.
  8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I think that paying an independent international firm that has employees of many nations is not the same as directly working with agents of a foreign government.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There are 1,400 members in Fairfax County. That's not insignificant. Also, Gillespie is not the one who took his black running mate off a mailer at request of a union.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If you are serious in your defense of the media, this is ridiculous. They are taking Trump's bait and stuff like this makes them no better than him. Much worse if you subscribe to the media being important.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I should also point out I organized a Q&A with both candidates for my org's magazine, focused on tax and economic issues, and Gillespie kept his eye on the ball there. He's got a lot more to his campaign than the sanctuary-cities crap. It just doesn't show up in his commercials very often.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.