1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. As long as you use a middle man, it's all good.

You guys are going to be laughing right up to the day Trump gets reelected.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You may be right. The effectiveness of whataboutism and false equivalences on idiots is not to be underestimated.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

It must be quite a burden to be so much smarter than the average voter.

QYFW likes this.
  4. RickStain

"I stand accused of selling out my country to Russians. But the only way the opposition could have researched that is if they, too, at some point, talked to Russians. So whatabout when they talked to Russians? Isn't it OK for us all to talk to Russians?"

Complete. Fucking. Idiocy.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess I'm in the extreme minority on this, but I find a cut here to be somewhat sensible. There's a huge range there between $18,000 (the current cap, though it's $24,000 for those over 50) and the proposed $2,400. Off the top of my head, I'd say once you get beyond the $5,000-$7,500 contribution range, we aren't talking about the middle class anymore.

6. RickStain

Sure, the police may be investigating the mob. But at some point, they had to have talked to mobsters during the investigation. And if they talked to mobsters, couldn't it be said that they too were mobsters?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

1 percenter!

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Great thread on how fake news works.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Contributors to a 401k aren't getting a tax cut, they are getting a tax deferral.

If I contribute $18,000 to my 401(k) in 2017, I am going to have to pay taxes on that $18,000 somewhere down the road when I withdraw it.

10. YankeeFan

LOL. They "talked to Russians".

They PAID Russians for unverified opposition research, and then peddled it as independent "intelligence" gathered by a respected former MI6 intelligence officer.

The "dossier" was presented to the FBI as intelligence.

They also lied to the FEC. They did not list "opposition research" as one of the functions they paid Perkins Cole for.

The Clinton campaign paid Perkins Coie $5.6 million in legal fees from June 2015 to December 2016, according to campaign finance records, and the DNC paid the firm $3.6 million in “legal and compliance consulting’’ since November 2015 — though it’s impossible to tell from the filings how much of that work was for other legal matters and how much of it related to Fusion GPS.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If you aren't deducting 10% of your salary to your 401k, you will never have enough to retire on. To contribute less than 10% is not smart.

So the midpoint in your range is $6,250. If deferring 10%, that is an income of $62,500.
    Is $62,501 above middle class where you live?

Hell, we had the story a couple weeks ago about the cafeteria workers at a tech place in NoCal making $80k and having to live out of a garage.

Inky_Wretch and YankeeFan like this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I live in Fairfax County. It's not nearly the problem Gillespie desperately wants it to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.