1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Likely at a lower rate (long-term capital gains) though, right? Or if not that, then at a time when your overall tax rate is much lower because you're over 59 1/2 and earning less money as a whole. In any case, it appears to be a way to increase government revenue, so it seems like a valid proposition.

You're in that industry, right poin? Is it also shielded if it ends up as inheritance? Say someone socks away $10,000/yr for his entire working life. He ends up with a nice nest-egg of $2M-$3M, which his heirs get when he dies. It isn't enough to trigger the estate tax. So ... do the heirs pay tax on that 401k? Or does it in fact become untaxed money at that point?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

And when presented with the dossier, the FBI found it credible enough to be investigated. I seem to recall some people having opinions about the fitness of a president under FBI investigation not that long ago...

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Are you a member?

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That many concentrated in one county is not something to be ignored, though. It's not nothing.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No. They're racist against white people.

QYFW likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

I'm fine. Ragu would be blown away if he looked at my accounts. But I have saved.

It would be pretty difficult for people in my area to put away $12,500 of a $125,000 household income. Not impossible, but very difficult.

Now take it outside the most expensive region in the country. How relevant is an $18,000 (or even $10,000) limit in the Midwest or the South?

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Some people can't afford anywhere near 10 percent, even smart ones.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

No, when you withdraw money out of your 401k, it is taxed as ordinary income. Both the $ you contributed, and any gains on that.

I reject that theory because I have no idea what the tax rates will be when I get to retirement age, and nobody does either.

Yes, I am earning less at 65. The ordinary tax rates may be much higher at that point, too.

There are a lot of different scenarios, but in general, the 401k money that you inherit, say from your parents, will need to be treated as your own 401k money, with withdrawals made as you get older.

Learn About Inherited 401 (k), When and How You Can Take Money Out

If the amount is $3 million, it falls well below the estate tax amount of roughly $5 million.

401k money is not my profession, but I don't have a defined benefit pension, so I make it my business to know everything about my only tax deferred retirement source.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Household debt levels have never been higher: closing in on $13 trillion when you add up mortgages, car loans, student loans and revolving credit. And that doesn't include government subsidies, which a significant percentage of the population receives. Credit card debt alone surpassed $1 trillion for the first time this year, and we are beyond where we were in 2008 when debt levels brought on a credit crisis. You are correct. There is a relatively large percentage of the population that can't make ends meet, let alone save.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Point taken.

Let me rephrase: If you aren't deferring 10%, the 401k will not be a sufficient retirement vehicle.

I've made low six figures for close to 20 years, with 10% deferral every year. I have been involved in a 401k since I got out of college at 22. For working 30 years, I have $560k. Now, could that amount been higher - if I invested it in Internation equities the year they were hot, in tech the years they were hot, etc? Yes. And I have at times been way too conservative, knowing in hindsight what I know now.

The point is, deferring the max for 20+ years, and contributing for 30, and I have a nice nest egg, but it isn't Easy Street.

QYFW likes this.
  11. LongTimeListener

But poin, you were making more 20 years ago than most of the country is making now.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Your beneficiaries can extend the life of an inherited 401(K) or IRA (or roll the 401K into an IRA). When they withdraw money from it, they pay income tax on what they withdraw. They have to take out a certain amount each year, based on their life expectancy (by IRS table) at the time they inherited it. So, for example, in year one they take the balance and divide it by whatever number the table gives them and they have to withdraw at least that much and pay income tax on the withdrawal. Whatever they don't withdraw, remains tax deferred. The next year, they take the balance on December 31 and divide the previous year's table number minus one, and they have to withdraw at least that much. And so on and so on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.