1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Who said to ignore it? It's definitely an issue.

But, they're like 0.001 percent of the county's population. And, the thing he blames it on isn't a thing in Fairfax County, or anywhere else in Virginia.

And, part of it is my opinion that the threat of random gang violence is overstated all over the country.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I just sold a house. Used the money to pay off credit card, medical bills, etc. I did all the smart things. Still broke. :(

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I would love to hear a politician put forth a real plan for spreading basic financial common sense.

We encourage people to use debt to buy brand new cars instead of good used ones and take out mortgages larger than they might otherwise afford. They can't save as much money that way, so their kids have to take out loans to go to college. They essentially graduate with a mortgage before they ever buy a house, and the cycle repeats itself.

Not sure how a leader makes that a national movement without being slammed as anti-business, though.

lakefront likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

And my wife and I spend like we are depression era children.

I have only one goal in life - to stop working. I don't need fancy cars or boats or european vacations. We save outside of the deferred retirement accounts.
    I see a finishing line. It's not super close, but its ahead.

For the rest of you working stiffs who don't have a govt pension either (practically the only ones giving defined benefit retirements)... i feel for you.

If I have one piece of advice, it is to work for the government, and those sweet, sweet pensions.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    LongTimeListener and YankeeFan like this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Gaslighting that appeals to idiots.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  7. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

But if you're out of debt now, you're at least building on a more stable foundation. Congrats.

poindexter likes this.
  8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's amazing to me how high most credit card rates are - I remember how stupid I was in college signing up for a free t-shirt or water bottle. But I was stupid and young. With the "rewards" programs, it seems that method still works on consumers.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It all comes back to police and fire!

To restate and narrow my position: The $18,000/$24,000 cap is not there for the middle class. There is some in-between number that meets middle-class needs while eliminating this tax break for the rich. It certainly isn't the $2,400 proposed, but it's somewhere south of five figures.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Slo-pitch softball is out of season here.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So help me out - Lets say the amount ends up being $5,000. Dreadfully low, but use it for this example.

And I contribute $6,000 into my 401k that year. That extra 1000 will be taxed twice, correct? It will be taxed on my current year income tax return as part of my income (as opposed to now, when it is deducted from my AGI), and will be taxed again, when I withdraw it at age 65 or whatever.

Tell me I have this wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.