1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That’s a weird one, right?

I mean, he admits he did it. I’m sorry, but even if you’re 84-years-old (at the time) and wheelchair bound, you can’t goose someone while posing for a picture and claim it was an attempt at humor.

It fits the very definition of sexual harassment/assault.

And, this actress isn’t getting a lot of support for her claim. It doesn’t look like a lot of folks are interested in going after a sympathetic ex-President, who’s been held up as the very opposite of our current President in terms of personal honor and dignity.

2. YankeeFan

Not at the New Republic!

Several women on the chain said they were humiliated when Mr. Wieseltier sloppily kissed them on the mouth, sometimes in front of other staff members. Others said he discussed his sex life, once describing the breasts of a former girlfriend in detail. Mr. Wieseltier made passes at female staffers, they said, and pressed them for details about their own sexual encounters.

One woman recounted that while she was attempting to fact-check a column Mr. Wieseltier wrote, he forced her to look at a photograph of a nude sculpture in an art book, asking her if she had ever seen a more erotic picture. She wrote that she was shaken and afraid during the incident.

Mr. Wieseltier often commented on what women wore to the office, the former staff members said, telling them that their dresses were not tight enough. One woman said he left a note on her desk thanking her for the miniskirt she wore to the office that day. She said she never wore a skirt to the office again.

3. YankeeFan

They had a zero tolerance policy, learned of his behavior, but didn’t fire him.

4. YankeeFan

So, should we expect Buzzfeed to publish the SHITTY MEDIA MEN spreadsheet?

It wasn’t immediately clear how the allegations first reached Emerson Collective. Wieseltier was named—along with more than five dozen other men who work in journalism or publishing—on an anonymous spreadsheet titled “SHITTY MEDIA MEN” that quietly, and then less quietly, circulated in national media circles last week. (The Atlantic obtained a copy of the spreadsheet, but is not publishing it because the allegations are anonymous and unverified.) Anonymous charges against the men were wide-ranging, and spanned from acting “creepy af” in online conversation—“af” being an abbreviation for “as fuck”—to physical assault and rape. Wieseltier’s alleged misconduct, according to the unverified, anonymous spreadsheet, was “workplace harassment.” It’s not clear whether Emerson Collective saw the spreadsheet.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Seems like all these creeps look just like ... that.

poindexter likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Bush once bought me a gin and tonic at a GOP fundraiser I was covering at a hotel in Connecticut. He didn't tell me a dirty joke or touch my ass.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Think about if the current President simply apologized for offending Myeshia Johnson in her time of grief on the day the "knew what he signed up for" was reported.

9. YankeeFan

Think about if the Congresswoman brought the issue to the attention of the WH privately, instead of going to the press.

10. YankeeFan

Seems inappropriate:

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have higher expectations for Presidents than members of Congress. I doubt the President and the WH wanted to litigate this issue for the past week instead of working on policy. But maybe I'm wrong. My point was how the HW thing seems to have been put to rest before it became a thing.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Seems like a realistic political move. I’m sure that’s exactly what a republican would have done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.