1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I wish I had a good answer. I'm just saying her righteous indignation falls a little flat when she claims she knew it was happening, yet we know nothing about her doing anything to stop Weinstein or Spacey.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is he the shortstop, the shortstop from Seattle?

#hadtolookhimup

HC likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How did some of these news organizations get their headlines so wrong?

Did they not see the accusation, and were just responding to the coordinated response?

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think her righteous indignation is aimed at Spacey claiming to be unaware of his behaviour. I think it's well placed.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Sounds like Happy Valley residents and Penn State employees.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Will have to agree to disagree. If so many people knew, no way it should have gone on for so long.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The preferred reaction should have been to stop hiring Spacey. You can't accuse him publicly without some sort of proof but you can refuse to give him a job. Hollywood is no different than anywhere else .... as long as the person is making money for someone they will turn a blind eye until forced.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Agreed, it’s a filthy culture where everyone accepted it and feared for their jobs.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which means it’s not a uncommon occurrence.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Classic collective action problem. Risks are far too great to be willingly born by any single individual.

LongTimeListener and HC like this.
  11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It happens at every level where someone (usually a man) has power over someone else. Not ALL men do this I hasten to point out but enough of them use their power to get what they want that it doesn't surprise me anymore.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I completely understand why one individual wouldn’t but if it is so well known there are enough powerful people that could have done something. Unless they have their own secrets.

It’s disgusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.