1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

When I read YF’s original post, I thought about all the Greek fellas I know off the top of my head. Six out of seven are named George.

Blew my mind.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mueller’s moves send message to other potential targets: Beware, I’m coming

Nick Akerman, a former assistant special Watergate prosecutor, said the court filings “all spell bad news for President Trump.’’

Akerman said he could not see any defense to the Manafort indictment.

“He has no choice but to plead guilty. That’s what the indictment says to me,’’ he said. “The only defense that you’ve got is to go in there and start singing like a canary to avoid jail time. And once he starts singing, one of the tunes is bound to be Donald Trump.’’

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Shoot, Trump could pardon these guys tomorrow. He'd still have his 33 percent.

Sounds like he still has a leak problem in the WH. I kind of wonder if Kelly's recent statements (he'd been pretty behind the scenes prior) is an attempt to give him more cover.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I've got a question: why would anyone ever answer any questions to any authorities, except maybe a traffic stop?

Can you plead the Fifth to everything, or can you be compelled to talk, somehow?

In my experience, I would never say a damn thing. Just turn off my ears and sit there and meditate.

I think Grand Juries are a little different, but still, seems like I should be able to not say boo in all situations.

5. Vombatus

WTF. I don't know the context, but to me that is a simple, true statement based on history. Not "celebrating" anything. That's the kind of twisting things into a narrative that irks the shit out of me.

I'm off to the "irk" thread...

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Good thread

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

These are sort of two different things. In dealing with cops. ... yeah, you don't have to answer their questions. You aren't pleading the fifth. It's actually a fourth amendment thing. Let's say a cop stops you on the street. You can refuse to answer any of their questions if they start grilling you, and you can ask if you are being detained. If they say no, you can just walk away. You're a free person, you don't live under their authority.

If you get subpoenaed as a witness (whether you are potentially a target for an indictment or not) for any kind of judicial proceeding, including a grand jury. ... you can't just refuse it. You have to appear. You also can't simply show up and think you ca nplead the 5th if you don't want to answer their questions. You have to have a valid reason for pleading the 5th -- i.e. testifying truthfully might incriminate you and leave you subject to a prosecution. You'll then need an attorney to argue that before the judge (without the prosecutor present) why you have a valid 5th amendment privilege, and if the judge agrees, yeah, you don't have to testify. But without that valid reason, you HAVE to testify truthfully. Potentially, the prosecution can offer you immunity from prosecution, too. ... in which case you no longer are under threat of self-incrimination, and they can compel you to testify. The bottom line is that when you are under subpoena, there isn't a blanket "get out of testifying" privilege that you can easily invoke. You are compelled to show up and testify truthfully. If you plead the 5th, you need to prove that it is validly being invoked.

Vombatus likes this.
  8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This is the point at which a faulty memory is sometimes helpful.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. Vombatus

And gymnastics like "depends on what your definition of is is."

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When I was deposed as a witness in a lawsuit, the Herald lawyers said that if you couldn't remember everything about some point on which you were asked a question, you should say you don't remember it at all rather than present an answer which could later be shown as only partially correct or internally inconsistent.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Also, never, ever lie. Perjury traps are the first thing you learn about in prosecutor school.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The thing is, many, indeed most lawsuits involve events long enough in the past that all the parties involved and witnesses have forgotten a great many relevant details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.