1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Dammit, Creosote! I was trying to find common ground. I don't know anything about Bergen, Bergens or Bergi. I literally googled Bergens in an effort to be nice and you blew my cover.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

It is. Guessing his reference is to the lady Bergen.

Haha. Or not.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Think before you argue with someone who believes YF went to Paris solely to avoid "facing the tough questions" on this Internet message board.

SnarkShark and doctorquant like this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It raises tax revenue by fucking over blue states like California and New York.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I'm not that smart. You guys are picking me apart, lie by lie.

MisterCreosote and QYFW like this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What's your point?

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

There's no logic behind it. They need an offset for the estate tax elimination - AND it hurts all the people in the libtard states of NY and CA, so its a two-fer.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Also eliminated -- deductions for student loan interest, medical expenses and adoption tax credit

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

He went to Paris, looking for answers to questions that bothered him so.

HC and tapintoamerica like this.
  10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The reason to argue that state and local taxes should be deductible is that you are getting double taxed -- taxed on income you never saw. First you get taxed at the state level. If there is withholding, you never even see the money. Yet, the Federal government turns around and taxes you on that money you never even touched. ... as income. I'd argue that is a more legit deduction than the home mortgage interest deduction, for which the basis is a decision by a person (something they can control) to borrow money, and for which the person receives a benefit (buy a home) in return for the interest they pay in exchange. That deduction is a simple, random handout.

From a political perspective, anyone paying a lot of state income tax in a high tax state such as New York or Cali, takes a hit with the elimination of the deduction. and the legislators from those states are going to face heat if it is eliminated.

The reason to eliminate it? We are running huge budget deficits, most of which is spending that is locked in on entitlement programs which are costing more and more. This whole exercise is a farce, but to the extent that they are going to play it out, they are going to try to pretend that they can somehow cut taxes, keep increasing spending the way we have (and have plans to moving forward) and not have our national debt keep exploding. So they are playing around the edges to find new revenue, and if they do away with the state and local tax deductions, it means a little bit more in tax receipts (but an insignificant amount relative to the overall debt we are adding on at an exponential pace).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Small Town Guy and Inky_Wretch like this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Just a nobody who was tasked with getting coffee!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.