1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

It's not. Regressive taxes such as the sales tax and gasoline tax are much more evil, given a choice I would eliminate them first.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And they're accused of hating America.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not just your dividends. ... although if you had cash returned to you personally while you owned the stock, yes, you were taxed on that income.

There is a level where you get hit before that. If that company earns anything, it is subject to corporate income tax. As a partial owner of the company, that accrues down to you -- it lowers your company's earnings. Taxes paid presumably make your shares worth less -- i.e. the hype (realistic or not) behind how reducing the corporate rate will acrrue to company's earnings and with an increase in earnings per share, it will presumably make stock prices go up.

Add in the fact that on top of that, yes, you get taxed on any dividends your company pays you. ... you are getting hit in three different ways on that investment. It's really a form of triple taxation.

4. Inky_Wretch

Seems fine, right? No reason to make sure that sector isn't paying bribes to foreign leaders.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Score another win for the kleptocracy!

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I heard we had a couple blacks.

8. Inky_Wretch

Seems about right.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I just reread this. Maybe I wasn't understanding so I think my first response didn't answer what you were asking. ... There are different kinds of stock options, I believe and I don't know the ins and outs. But speaking generally, when you exercise your options, the spread -- the difference between the fair market value and the exercise price gets taxed as ordinary income, doesn't it?

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Troll much, Donald?

12. Inky_Wretch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.