1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am not following you. We're talking about cap gains. That is a form for pass-through partnerships. Page 4 is for Schedule K. The lines you mentioned break out cap gains (short and long) separate from the various types of income -- precisely because they are a different animal. When each partner thenreceives their K-1, interest income and dividends are broken out separately from short and long term capital gains. That is because the long term cap gains are not taxed as income. They are taxed at the long-term cap gains rate.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

We can all agree that investing is a slightly riskier but certainly less taxing and less taxed way to make a living.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ill stand down.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are you so committed to this double/triple/whatever taxation nonsense that you are actually going with this? The reduced value of shares that maybe possibly could be attributed to owing to the tax rate is in itself a tax?

Good Christ. Sometimes you should stop and listen to what the fuck you're talking about.

Now I know you're going to call me some kind of name because you get off on your mod power in doing that, while banning people who do it to you, but you sound really dumb on this.

YankeeFan, JC and Stoney like this.
  6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

You can call it whatever you want. The facts are:

When a United States citizen sells an asset for more than its purchase price, the United States government requires the citizen to claim the resulting profit on its Income Tax Return, at which point the citizen must pay a capital gains tax on each dollar of profit he earned. The capital gains tax is the one and only federal tax that the citizen will pay on each of those dollars of profit he earned. If he spends any of those dollars on gasoline, the federal government will take an additional tax out. At that point, and at that point only, the citizen will have paid two taxes on the same dollar. All of these are facts, whether or not you accept them as such. They do not support the conclusion that the capital gains tax levies an addition tax on dollars that have already been taxed, which is what you said, which is the evidence you used to conclude that the capital gains tax is unfair.

Please note that every sentence above is falsifiable. Just a statement of facts.

LongTimeListener and Stoney like this.
  7. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Where does skimming union dues fall on that continuum?

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course it has been taxed already. It was taxed when you EARNED the money. ... in the form of an income tax. When your savings get taxed all over again in the case of a tax on capital appreciation of an asset, you are getting taxed once more on that same dollar that was taxed when you earned it. Does that make sense?

It's also particularly insidious, if you think about it, because most capital appreciation is just asset price inflation. Take the "investment" in your home that you told me about. Let's say you bought it 30 years ago. I know there are exemptions for a certain amount of home price appreciation from cap gains tax, but to the extent that you get taxed on any appreciation on a sale, you are being taxed on your savings (not your income) that have just kept pace with how the value of a dollar has declined. If you doubt that, why can't you go out and then buy a similar home for the same price you had paid 20 years ago and pocket all of that income you think you earned?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This isn't true.

If I make $15,000 and pay $5,000 in taxes, I have $10,000. If I invest that and it grows to $16,000, I am taxed on the $6,000 profit. I am not taxed again on the $10,000 initial investment.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Well then, someone must have stopped the presses.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

We need a separate tax thread. Just like how we have a separate golf thread.

SpeedTchr likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.