1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm not sure daemon's original hypothetical was ever addressed.

Say your company pays you $100,000 worth of stock as your annual compensation.

This is not an "option." It's simply $100,000 worth of stock you suddenly own, given to you as compensation by your employer. No other income shows up on your W-2 other than this stock distribution.

1. Has this money been taxed yet? And if so, when?
    2. When does the employee need to pay taxes on his $100K worth of income? When he sells the stock (at either a higher or lower price), or simply on April 15, based on the original $100K distribution?
    3. What is the basis for any capital gains tax? Employee didn't "buy" the stock at $100K; that was simply the amount given to him for his annual compensation.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That $6K is not ordinary income. It is your savings. You can have $10K today and go out and buy stuff. Or you can save (or invest) it in the hope of having more later (the extra $6K you might earn for deferring consumption). It's time preference.

That doesn't change the fact that you were taxed on that money when you earned it (what I said). It's the reason why you didn't have $15K in savings to invest and at that rate of return you didn't realize $9K instead of $6K on your savings for your time preference choice.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because as we all know the only corrupt people are on the labor side of the equation. Companies are never inflitrated by organized crime or hire people who rob them.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dude. You are making something so simple sound so complicated. You have no idea what you're talking about. And you are just trying to talk around everyone else to muddle the fact that you are utterly clueless here.

This should be a real "Emperor Has No Clothes" moment for people who listen to you on economic and financial matters. You are totally, completely in the wilderness here.

WCIBN likes this.
  5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You seem very uncomfortable with ... phrases like "skimming union dues." Why is that? Just easy to trigger?

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Talk to ya later, LTL.

MisterCreosote, SpeedTchr, JC and 2 others like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

For such an "unpredictable" guy, Trump is awfully predictable. Of course, he would not retain Janet Yellen who was part of the wicked Obama Administration. Also, this move breaks a decades-long tradition of renominating Fed chairs from previous admin.

Trump Announces Jerome Powell as New Fed Chairman

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

74292939-2975-43BA-9EA8-E65EE02CF145.jpeg

HanSenSE and HC like this.
  9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For the record. ... I have never sought you out on here. Never trailed you around trolling you. Never brought your name up on a thread you weren't posting on, put words in your mouth, and I certainly don't take lame shots at you all over the board over and over again. Everything you do. To the extent, I have ever responded to you on here, it has always begun with an attempt to respond to your posts. Not seeking you out, not calling you names, not doing stupid insults. Not being a flaming asshole toward you or making it about YOU.

You (and a couple of other people) trail me around here being a major league dick toward me. To the extent that I have ever gotten frustrated and reacted, sorry, I am human.

But let's be real. I don't know how many times you have trailed me around here lately calling me names and taking stupid shots at me. Then, I'll say something like, "LTL was acting like a jerk toward me," (exactly what I said on a thread you were trailing me around being nasty toward me last week) and it becomes "He called him a jerk!" Moderator. Gets off on power. He bans people!

Of course, you have never been banned from here. I mostly ignore you. So stop with the bullshit, please. Continue being a jerk toward me. I can deal with your message board bully act, I suppose. It makes the place less fun for me sometimes, but so be it.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're a real peacemaker.

I don't need to go all Whitman and fish out dozens of posts where you've insulted me or others. We all know what's up. You get off on this.

Where is Whitman, anyway? He sure as hell didn't do anything we saw that would have gotten him run out of here.

Also, it is so fucking comical to read your interpretation of taxes. It might be as uninformed as anyone has ever been around here while continuing to go on and on.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

For me, that moment first came a decade ago when he was starting threads like this one imploring us to buy oil stocks on his assurance that oil prices would keep skyrocketing. He, of course, did this immediately before the oil bubble (of which he denied the existence) burst and prices instead dramatically crashed.

Ragu talks a good game--he certainly knows how to spin the economic jargon--but, from what I've seen, there's strikingly little connection between what he says and what actually happens.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  12. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The cap on the mortgage interest deduction, the cap on the property tax deduction and the elimination of the state and local tax deduction are substantial tax increases on rich people. Interesting how some liberal media are trying to spin it otherwise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.