1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s a killer for the home builders, realators and anyone who owns a home with equity. Rich? It’s a tax on middle class. Married, 2 income, wage earners who own a home will feel it. It’s a tax on the solid American dream.

cranberry likes this.
  2. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

If you can afford to pay $500,00 for a house and pay $10,000 a year in property taxes, you get no sympathy from me.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're gonna need to show your work on this one.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Is 500 grand considered wealthy these days?

5. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

I don't care what you call it, you should be paying more taxes.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The mortgage interest deduction is a bit overplayed as an issue. The paper out here (Bay Area) doped out what it would mean based on median home prices (around $1 million) and 20 percent down. I think the total difference is like $1,900 a year — so if you’re qualifying for that mortgage, you’re making over $200K and the tax hit is less than 1 percent of your income. I figure a lot of the difference will be baked into the sale price too.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Where do you live in California? Hemet? Barstow?

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Home prices will decrease in the suburbs from Boston to Miami, Seattle to SanDiego. Everywhere the price of a single family Home is near 500k. It will depress the housing market.

Housing prices go down, your equity goes down. Home builders lose, home improvement business loses. Local governments lose their tax base of property taxes. This is a recipe for depression

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Look, I am sure I posted some VERY wrong things about where the price of oil (the commodity, not oil stocks) were likely headed at various points. But no, I never started a thread imploring anyone to buy an oil stock. Posts like yours frustrate me. If I respond, it turns into something else. If I don't respond, that becomes a "truth" that you will then repeat again some time in the future. I have tried it both ways, and it is frustrating.

For what it is worth, if you care. ... I certainly haven't owned any oil stocks over the last decade (so I personally wasn't buying what you think I was imploring you to buy), and to the extent I have traded any oil (the physical commodity), you'll have to take my word that I have done it profitably. Swing trading oil futures, although it is a very small part of my repertoire -- I don't trade oil much, even though I follow the market. Within the last 2 years, in one of the most "out there" things I have ever done, I actually bought physical oil on the spot market when the price dropped a lot thinking I would pay storage fees on it for a while and wait to see if I got a small bounce. ... I ended up selling it fairly quickly at a premium (not what I had planned) because storage got so tight that the space became valuable to others.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

LOL

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

At what point are young people supposed to enter the housing market? Very very tough to do when starter homes are $500k.

Its been bubbly since the last recession.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

OK, perhaps my memory of decade-ago threads was fuzzy concerning precisely what you were telling us to buy. But the fact remains that you were instructing us to buy into oil at the absolute worst possible time to do so. For example:

"I have never done this on here, but I'll flat out make the recommendation (but won't take responsibility for whatever happens to anyone's money). I won't recommend people on here try playing with commodities if it is something they don't understand, but if you have ANY money to invest, buy just a little of the U.S. Oil Fund. It's an exchange-traded fund that mirrors the price of West Texas crude and trades under the stock symbol USO. It trades like a stock, so you can buy it through your discount brokerage account, if you have one."

It's the speculators!!! (yup, oil again)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.