1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Joe the Plumber pays $12,900 in mortgage interest and property taxes the first year on his $250,000 mortgage.

That's a $200 itemized deduction bump on what he would have had by taking the $12,700 standard deduction.

That $200 extra deduction may save him $50 in taxes. For one year, as he'll pay less interest in year 2.

And that's going to kill the American Dream?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's review the bidding. GOP tax plan was polling like shit before it was released. Now it's released. It is opposed by very significant Republican interest groups, realtors, small business, even the Club for Growth! It is in effect an endless series of attack ads, good ones, for 2018 ("I wanted to adopt that baby, but now we can't afford it." "My student loan cost just doubled, thanks to GOP." "I got a better job offer in another town, but now I can't sell my house." And so on.), It doesn't even fit within the confines of the budget resolution unless it sunsets after 2026. This is Trumpcare II, the Sequel. It sucks for the Republicans if it fails, and it'll suck for them far, far worse if it passes.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It’s just become too much of a scare-campaign cliche at this point.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. That isn't an oil stock. It's an ETF that mirrors the commodity. And yes, that would have been a brutal time (if it was when I think) to have bought USO, obviously. So point is taken. I didn't own that ETF, but I had been buying WTI on the futures market on the way up, swing trading from the swing lows to swing highs as it went, which is why my memory of what I was thinking about oil at the time is more along the lines of what was going on in my world (which is very trade oriented) not something I posted on here.

If you had asked me at the time, yes, I would have guessed (with a lot of conviction) that the price of oil was going to have a floor under it for a long time because of what I saw happening with expansion of M2 money supplies. And I tended to post enthusiastically. I figured we'd see asset price inflation and anything petrodollar related would keep running for a while. The effects of that monetary inflation made its way into financial assets (rather than physical commodities -- what I was anticipating) for a variety of reasons that I didn't understand (or could have seen) at the time. And I was wrong.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Like Trump, I can't know what in his heart.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Needles?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You should try selling life insurance.

"How much life insurance do you have?"

"I have 'INSERT AMOUNT HERE'"

"Gah! You need more!"

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Then you need to work harder.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Double it, and the. Decrease housing prices by 10% minimum. That 10% represents MOST of your equity in the first 8years of Home ownership.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.