1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Ok. That ad slipped by me. Had to look it up. Jesus. Who approved that?

Apologies. I was wrong QY.

QYFW likes this.
  2. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Well, I hope a third president at least gets the chance to sh*t the bed sooner rather than later. YMMV.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And there's a mea culpa atop it - now?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

Wonder if that wa the round in which he picked up a rolling putt.

7. tapintoamerica

Perhaps a question for Doc: Are there examples in US history in which corporate tax cuts spurred job growth or wage growth? In other words, is there historical evidence to suggest that corporations take tax savings and invest them in employees?

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I'm sure you found what you were looking for. You really are the biggest Obama apologist on the board.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

You can't write comedy any better

TowelWaver, Inky_Wretch and QYFW like this.
  10. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Is there any proof that they returned to jihad? I honestly don't know.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not Doc. But my 2 cents. Corporations don't invest in their businesses in an economy that has been growing at around 2 percent for the last decade. Why would you build a factory or open more stores or hire a lot of people to produce goods and services that people (who are overly indebted) can't afford?

It's why there are so many businesses struggling. To the extent we are seeing faux growth, it is all because of an enormous amount of debt creation during that time that has created a lot of zombie corporations living on debt, and a lot of consumers loaded up on artificially cheap financing to buy cars and iphones on credit. For most discretionary items, though, there isn't enough money there, which is why so much of retail has been struggling, for example. Not on the nation of bartenders and waiters living on credit cards we have become.

So to answer your question. ... No, tax cuts in a vacuum don't create jobs. The last time we got repatriation of money from overseas on a one-time tax holiday, it led to a lot of stock buybacks and dividend raises -- that cash went right to the owners of the companies. As has a lot of cheap debt over the last decade. ... the stated idea was to incentivize corporations to borrow and invest and that would create jobs and spur the economy. The reality is that businesses have taken advantage of the artificially cheap financing from price-fixed rates, but rather than doing capital expenditures (which would have made no sense in a depressed economy), they did stock buybacks and raised their dividends (which attracted investors hungry for yield with rates pinned so artificially low). That is great for the stock market -- for as long as a bubble can get inflated via artificial means. But no, it's not real economic activity. If we get a corporate tax cut and/or some form of repatriation, look for the same thing. Stock buybacks and dividend payouts to jack stock prices up without actually increasing earnings. ... not new factories and ventures employing lots of people.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let's make a deal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.