1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that it's so easy. Also I honestly believe that 9/11 upped the ante for murderous nutjobs. You can't just shoot up your old office and make the news. Got to think big.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Connecticut senator who was the House rep for Newtown in 2012

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Media coverage absolutely plays a part in it, even if we don't want to hear it. Somewhere out there right now, some fucker is having the idea put in his head.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The next one could be a thousand dead.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

One of my softball players bagged her 3rd deer in 4 years. She's 13. She didn't use an AK, just a regular ol' hunting gun.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A thought about mental illness: America has no good solution for this, either. Not that asylums ever were, but, since they've largely been shut down, Families are left to deal the mentally ill. To navigate it the best way they can.

Mental illness has a major stigma, which not only prevents diagnosis - people don't want to have mental problems - but ends up being costly to treat.

As bad as you might think the gun issue is...mental illness is even more complex.

Which is why the supply side has to be addressed . Guns.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

No.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Agreed. Great Britain has seen a recent spate of knife and acid attacks (not so called Islamic terrorism, what Americans think of as random violence). They are horrible crimes. But the body counts can't be compared.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Speaks kinda well of churches, don’t you think?

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Nay.

Big Circus likes this.
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Definitely had some scary moments growing up in a pastor's home. I remember a schizophrenic man who showed up at the house a few times looking for exorcisms.

When I was maybe 13, we were in a church where the parsonage was physically a wing of the church. Our laundry room door opened into the sanctuary. There was a night where I was watching my younger sister while the parents were out to dinner. I heard some weird noises through that door, sounded like a woman wailing. I didn't quite know what to do, so I locked the door, left a message on my dad's phone and grabbed a frying pan. Found out later that it was a crazy woman who was loosely affiliated with the church who had broken in to pray. She had a knife on her when police found her.

Alma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted