1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

By one person?

2. cjericho

Were his requests for an exorcism denied?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The guy in Vegas shot 500. Although the timeline is confusing, it appears he would have had 15-30 more minutes to shoot if he hadn’t decided to off himself when he did.

That was a crowd of 22,000. What if you’re talking about a crowd of 75,000+ and a more prolonged shooting time?

4. cjericho

He said 1000 dead. Not shot.

5. LongTimeListener

Right.

Take a crowd of 75,000 — say, a parade in LA or NYC — and give the shooter (or even multiple shooters) an extra 15 minutes. He/they will hit several thousand people. How many will die?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how much pharmaceuticals are twisting people up too.

I know mental illness drugs are designed to help, but I've always scratched my head over the mental illness drug warnings that say things like "may increase suicidal tendencies" or something to that effect. Always makes me think WTF. Pharmaceuticals seem like throwing chemical darts at a dartboard with a lot of uncertainty as to what the effects will be. Some, hopefully most, will be good. And this approach I guess replaced the asylums.

8. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Sigh.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

We are definitely an over-medicated society. Much like the NRA, the drug companies have a lot of power over Congress, on both sides.

Nobody knows if this kid was on something, legal or otherwise. It seems like he had huge problems, since he was booted from the Air Force.

Regardless, it's still terrorism, even though he was white and domestic. But your point about drugs is a good one.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

You don't have to use guns for domestic mass casualties. McVeigh is Exhibit A.

The Nice, France truck incident was bound to be copied in the US eventually. NYC Monday in that respect was unsurprising.

Just wait until people really amp it up with chem/bio mass casualties. Matter of time. It's already occurred in Japan and in the US.

12. LongTimeListener

I think NRA overlords told their lapdogs to cut the "thoughts and ... " because it sounds too canned. So it's just prayers today.

Draft saved Draft deleted