1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

LTL nails it. There have been plenty of options proposed to restrict access to firearms without banning them or taking firearms away from law-abiding citizens. But these measures get not even a shred of traction because every effort to reduce the number of guns on the street is met with braying about the Constitution, fantasies about good guys with guns and local militias staving off tyrannical governments.

There is a middle ground here, but the NRA makes sure gun owners don't see it. An argument for "well-regulated" gun ownership is not an argument against gun ownership, and it's only the fools who buy into these Wild West fantasies who believe it is an either/or proposition.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And had the suspect lived, I'm sure he would have pronounced his sentence as well.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

I knew he'd been missing, but didn't realize he'd been banished. For what reason?

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

According to reports, this murderer was dishonorably discharged from the armed forces. Under 18 U.S. Code § 922, it was illegal for him to possess any firearm.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The first rule of banishments is they don't talk about banishments.

franticscribe and SnarkShark like this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

It's not ruining my life, but it's not improving it, I don't think. I've decided to take a hiatus for the rest of November and see how I feel about things. I just... For some reason, the reactions on there today after the shooting really bugged me. It's either dumb or pointless. It's just a bunch of people shouting the same things again and again and not doing anything about anything in the actual world. It gives the illusion of activity and engagement. It's a really bad thing, I'm starting to think.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. SpeedTchr

You need to follow better people.

SnarkShark likes this.
  10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I’m on board with the Pop for Prez movement.

Iron_chet, Inky_Wretch and TowelWaver like this.
  12. SpeedTchr

Quelle surprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted