1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

If I have this correct (and reporting seems to vary) he actually had a “bad conduct” discharge. It seems to be very similar.

And since it was for domestic violence, it does appear as if he should not have been allowed to own a gun.

I very well could be wrong. Happy to be corrected by anyone with better military understanding than I have.

2. Deskgrunt50

A joke to be sure. I just appreciate the way Pop goes about his business.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And here we go again ...

4. Deskgrunt50

Trump’s reactions to these horrific situations are so transparent and maddening. A white American citizen, it is always a mental health issue. I agree.

But anyone brown from another country? Automatically extreme vetting and the death penalty.

With the self-radicalized asshole in NYC, it was also a mental health issue.

And both are terrorists, same as the Vegas mass murderer.

tapintoamerica and Kato like this.
  5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I heard a radio report today that had audio of someone saying, after this atrocity, “god still has control.”

This is why I’ve never been able to believe. If a god exists and has “control” and lets all this horrific shit happen, fuck that guy. He/she/it is not worth any worship.

I’ve never been able to empathize with the faithful in that respect. To go through this and keep on believing some god has a plan for it all.

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Problem solved

9. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

They both are. That's why nothing ever changes.

Who, particularly in good conscience, would, or should, oppose steps toward limiting arms? Really, why does it occur? Why, exactly and specifically, is the second amendment "cherished," as cranberry described in an earlier post?

Who, particularly after more and more events of recent years, would or should be too timid to take such steps?

The only result is paralysis.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Anyone who provides a firearm to another who is not entitled to possess a firearm should be considered an accomplice to every crime committed with that firearm

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think I've said this here before, but maybe the horrorific photos of the crime scenes need to be published to get any control movement really going.

This isn't Hollywood. This isn't computer games. This is real, and the reporting on these events still has a level of distance of the experience that only helps anesthesize the public.

Make it really real. Show photos. Interview all of the first responders who dealt with each scene. Interview the CSI, especially in cases like this where the shooter is dead and no trial is coming. Interview the coroner and morticians. Interview those who mop up all the blood.

Sure, that might actually make some small percentage of sick individuals more jacked to do it too.

But the point here is to get gun control movement actually moving with a sustainable momentum.

Think about Vietnam. 1968 Tet. One thing that started to really turn the tide of opinion back home was the ARVN officer who pulled a pistol and shot the VC in the head. That showed up in everyone's living rooms.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Apparently Kelley had recently posted this on his Facebook page:

[​IMG]

But please, right wingers, do tell us more about how this isn't about guns.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    OscarMadison likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted