1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So are you also one of those nitwits who doesn't believe in global warning because there was that spring snowstorm last year?

It's just a fact that this stuff does not happen in any other first world nation at anywhere remotely near the rate it does here. A fact which is not changed by a story about a single event a decade ago in Germany.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    franticscribe likes this.
  2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

These things happen in other places in the world. They're not monthly occurrences.

And glad the two guys in this case took off after the guy....after he'd killed 26. But unarmed teachers and school employees have taken down more active shooters than good guys with guns. For the most part, these things end when the people shooting decide they'll end, whether they've killed three, 10, 26 or 50. And somewhere right now are people plotting to do the same. And the only way to really stop them is to hope that somehow they don't qualify to legally buy a gun and are too lazy or incompetent or scared to figure out how to get one illegally and that eventually the murderous impulses pass.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Don't move the goalposts. Read what typefitter posted. He was simply wrong, and I provided examples. If you want to discount those concrete examples of him being wrong, that's on you.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Those guys are being made out as heroes who saved the day, but it doesn't seem to me that they shot at him or did anything else to stop him. Seems mostly like media in search of good guys for the narrative. They drove very fast to follow him, so there's that, but I think the law was going to be on the guy's trail in pretty quick order anyway. And it doesn't appear they were the ones who shot him. I don't know if there has been a determination about how he was shot -- whether it was self-inflicted or part of a crossfire with a churchgoer who was packing heat -- but it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the two men who chased him although one did have a rifle.

At first read, I'd guess the shooter killed himself. Not sure if he could have gotten to his car and driven away for all that distance if he had suffered an ultimately fatal wound at the church.

HanSenSE and Small Town Guy like this.
  5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You're being ridiculous. Anyone with common sense understood what @typefitter meant, and that he didn't literally mean there'd never been a shooting anywhere else.

And, frankly, the fact that you had to go back nearly a decade to find those stories only emphasizes his point.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Why does everyone bring up mental illness, like it should be -- has to be -- the excuse for acts like this one? Unless, by mental illness, people mean a complete lack of morals and conscience, which I guess it could, but which I know nobody here means when they're talking about it.

Most of the time, it comes down to simply knowing right from wrong, giving a shit about that, and then deciding to act (or not act) on that knowledge.

That's the root issue. People in the U.S. have taken such advantage of their freedoms, without the taking of similar responsibility for themselves and their actions. I think they've learned to do so, and, put simply, they just don't care. They want to do whatever the heck they want to do, our freedoms pretty much allow that, and so, to hell with anyone or anything else.

Guns need to be restricted, if not eliminated, from the lives of most people. Because, apparently, many who would use them don't have the strength to not do so just because they feel like it, or because they've decided they're mad at something or someone.

We keep looking for motivations and reasons behind these guys' actions, like there must be one besides the fact that they've decided to do whatever they want to do. We won't find them.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm certain that was a tall fence to climb.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It was not a fully automatic weapon, so we're all good, right?

cranberry likes this.
  9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

An unlikely hero describes gun battle and 95 mph chase with Texas shooting suspect

“The gentleman that was with me got out, rested his rifle on my hood and kept it aimed at him, telling him to get out, get out. There was no movement, there was none of that. I just know his brake lights were going on and off, so he might have been unconscious from the crash or something like that, I’m not sure,” he said.

Police were on the scene within five to seven minutes, Langendorff said Sunday night. Freeman Martin, a regional director for the Texas Department of Public Service, told The Post authorities had yet to determine whether Kelley was killed by a self-inflicted gunshot wound or hit in the gunfire at the church. Multiple weapons were found in Kelley’s vehicle.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Sorry. Should have written "Don't have mass shootings every fucking week."

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

MSNBC guy just said that permit is more about the concealed/carry law than a possession law. Having a permit would allow the guy to carry the gun in public. It wouldn't necessarily prevent him from buying and owning a gun.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

And, if we're looking to the rest of the world for anecdotal example—how about Australia, which had a terrible massacre in 1996, responded with tough, common-sense gun control, and hasn't had a massacre since.

Australia's Lessons on Gun Control

Draft saved Draft deleted