1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Shooting at Texas church

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Nov 5, 2017.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

That's not true. Nobody is "from" Northern Virginia.

Seriously, I remember reading something that said only about 30 percent of the people who live here were actually born and raised here.

The only distinction I make is with DC's Maryland suburbs. I don't want anyone to get the idea that I'm crazy enough to live there. (cc: @Vombatus)

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

People in Virginia tend to include a region -- NOVA, Tidewater, Central Va, Southwest Va, The Valley... -- when they say where they are from/live because it's so different from one corner to another.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

NOVA draws quite a few military families and government types. Jake is right about them including regions when they say where they are from.

4. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well, I was born in Alexandria and grew up in Lorton, so I guess I'm the exception.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Tidewater is the same way with military folks, although there are plenty of lifers down there.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, and I failed to mention Southside, which is really just North Carolina spilling over the border.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I've been on this board a long time. I just feel a couple 10 or 20 Tony Bennett/lack of offense posts are coming next.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Let me finish my lunch real quick.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yep. You, and my children.

Cosmo likes this.
  10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy!

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Fact: Detroit is farther EAST (look at longitude lines) than the far western tip of Virginia.

[​IMG]

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Behold the power of the NRA ...

The N.R.A. was actually the first to put the onus on the A.T.F. In a statement after the Las Vegas shooting, the powerful gun lobby said the bureau should revisit the bump stock issue, and “immediately review whether these devices comply with federal law.” That was hailed by some as a change for the group, but in fact, the N.R.A. never embraced a ban.

In a recent interview on YouTube with James Yeager, a Tennessee gun enthusiast who runs a firearms training business, the association’s chief lobbyist, Chris Cox, bragged about its head fake.

“The day before we put out that statement there were enough votes in the House of Representatives, the pro-gun Republican House of Representatives, to pass a Feinstein-Curbelo type of bill,” Mr. Cox told Mr. Yeager. He went on: “The truth is we needed to slow down the process and have an educated conversation.”

Why the Push to Ban Rifle ‘Bump Stocks’ Has Slowed

Draft saved Draft deleted