1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It’s supposed to be debt anyway, the cumulative number, as opposed to the deficit, the annual number.

Anyhoo, there is no way to spin this as anything but the GOP disregarding everything it purports to believe.

The GOP's tax bill would add $1.7 trillion to the national debt over the course of a decade, and increase the country's debt-to-GDP ratio by 5.9 percentage points, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

TowelWaver and cranberry like this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Oh, I don't disagree at all.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Republican PArty, the actual active members of elected officials and party apparatchiks have one issue: Greed. Deficit? Not really. Abortion? No fucking way. All that is a diversion to elect republicans so they can get money. Reduce all impediments to making money and get tax payer money in government contracts. No regulation. No FDA, No EPA. Nothing. If they could they would sell feces as sirloin and prohibit the government from regulating fraud. No SEC

They are about greed. I got mine, I want More FUCK YOU

cranberry likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly. Debt is a major topic when a D is in the Oval. But put an R in there and suddenly it's cool to go deeper and deeper into it.

As a fiscal hawk, it's damned frustrating.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    It reminds me of Wooderson's line from Dazed and Confused. We keep cutting taxes lower and GDP keeps staying the same. Though it is a fair argument as to whether your income level should "earn" you a larger burden to keep the federal debt low.

6. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The “top marginal rate” bit is just stupid. So what if the top marginal rate is 90% if only some very small sliver of the populace is subject to it? A top marginal rate of 35% that applies to a lot of people is a helluva bigger tax bite than a top marginal rate of 90% that virtually no one faces.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The bottom 99 percent rate has been relatively flat over the last 30 years. There has been scant evidence of correlation between GDP growth through lower taxes on the top 1 percent. Capital gains rates maybe.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Interesting that Northram won not because Trump voters feel any differently about the Trump policies that Gillespie embraced (Gillespie got plenty of votes to win every previous election) but because turnout surged for the left. Including (drum roll) the mythic youth vote that everyone always laughs off, because all you really need to do is win olds and those stupid kids just don't vote.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is the kind of info that’s very encouraging to people (like myself) who think the GOP’s deal with the devil will backfire spectacularly for the next generation. The “they’re all the same” complacency disappeared, at least here.

It’s about Trump, yes, but much of what people are reacting to constitutes mainstream Republican policy. Paul Ryan’s eight-year run as Mr. Sensible Conservative ended as soon as he took that spotlight.

TowelWaver likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Lending more evidence to the idea that Hillary did absolutely nothing to energize the sort of voter that would have pushed her over the top last year.

LongTimeListener and TowelWaver like this.
  12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not a real Virginian. :(

And, that second sentence: Wowzer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.