1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Wonder if the Dems can convince Creigh Deeds to make a run for Goodlatte's seat. He's the only Democrat I can see with a snowball's chance of turning that seat.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is anyone else watching the developments in Saudi Arabia with interest and concern? The new, young king is letting women drive. He's deposed and jailed on "corruption" charges a number of family members and military/national guard commanders. He made it clear to the clergy that if they didn't keep their mouths shut and their heads down they'd go to jail too.

Here's what's really behind the arrest of Saudi Arabian billionaire Alwaleed Bin Talal

Then there's this:
    Saudi helicopter crash reportedly kills high-ranking prince

I have a nasty conspiratorial mind, and that's certainly convenient for MBS.

Throw in the missile fired from Yemen which was shot down over the Riyadh airport, which was very likely supplied by Iran, and things are getting very interesting over there. If the young king can get all the reins of power into his hands he can start to fix some of the endemic corruption and abuse of power by the royal family... if that's really what he plans to do. He could turn out to be a stone dictator. Or he could fail, fall, and that country falls into civil war.

Interesting times.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Interesting read here from a former NSA guy. Says the pee tape is almost certainly real, according to various Western intelligence agencies, and that Mueller has a copy believed by many to be real, but the Kremlin is pumping out fake ones to try and create confusion and doubt, and it's unlikely we'll ever be able to authenticate that the real one is really real.

Spies Suspect Kremlin Is Pushing Dozens of Fake Trump Sex Tapes

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I don't think Creigh Deeds wins that seat. The Democrats pickup opportunities for Congress in 2018 are the district represented by Barbara Comstock in NOVA, Scott Taylor in Virginia Beach (Northam carried both districts) and maybe Dave Brat north and west of Richmond(Brat's district includes Henrico County which is turning blue rapidly. Northam won by 20 points there).

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

ECHO... Echo... echo...

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Joe’s going to be the 2020 nominee. I guarantee it.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Senate is waking up to the fact that tax cuts are (have always been) a fantasy, unless they are prepared to blow up the debt. They floated something a few minutes ago suggesting that their version won't have a corporate rate cut until 2019.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm in the Chesterfield portion of Brat's district. Chesterfield as a whole is pink to red most of the time, but barely went for Gillespie this year. I don't know the exact details by voting/Congressional district, but the Brat part of Chesterfield is more suburban and (I'd guess) more liberal. Hanover County is the biggest issue - those are the rural exurbs, super white and super Republican, but also less populated. But it feels like Brat should be beatable.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I get that we are supposed to just accept the premise that this is a hilarious proposition.

But can you humor us anyway and explain why it is such a side-splitter?

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

'Cause he'll be 77 or so and a lot of Dem-ish folks are gonna say, "Well, hell, why didn't you run when you could have actually done us some good?"

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I've posted this before, but this Dem who will be 70 come election time, will only support a candidate for nomination who's younger than I am. Time for us boomers to ride into the Hilton Head sunset.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

And a lot of Dem-ish folks should know the answer to that question before they even ask it. Hint: "turn".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.