1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Don't think this is a d_b, but after all we've seen today, a round for the house seems nice:

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Voting Democrat: A cootie shot for the Nazi/white supremacist flu.

YankeeFan, SpeedTchr and Jevans like this.
  5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The pee tape exists. There's no doubt in my mind.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is that the GOP is really just a loose confederacy of "enemy of my enemy is my friend." The only thing Wall Street, evangelicals, the alt-right and large chunks of rural Americans have in common is they aren't liberals for various reasons.

The wheat and cattle producing community where I grew up voted Republican for president. That's what they do. The local heroes are Republicans. Bob Dole was the county attorney. Ike was from a couple counties over. Tax codes, the EPA and, yes, the 2nd Ammendment are their issues. Immigration, travel bans, police brutality just isn't part of their day-to-day lives, even if those are things they have opinions on its not why they vote.

They don't even like Brownback, but it takes a remarkable politician and somebody really likable, Kathleen Sebelius, to get them to check the D box.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Hey, she said she was Uranium 18!

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What's a more potent antidote to the disease refined in recent years by the party of Wallace, Duke, Trump, Secessions and Moore?

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The problem is the pickle the modern GOP painted itself into by welcoming the crazies with open arms. There should be a sensible GOP that cares about smaller government and is pro business and low taxes and strong national defense. Eisenhower and Nixon would be considered liberals today. They're basically Clinton and Biden. The religious charlatans became so obsessed with power, they hikacked the party into something sinister and now the only way they can win elections is by stoking grievances. Reagan may not have liked government, but he conceded government was necessary and worked with Tip O'Neil to make it work. He'd be considered a traitor for that today. He literally went to the NAACP convention and said "I don't want the votes of racists." Trump said their were fine people on both sides of a rally where people chanted "blood and soil."

There is no equivalent to Roy Moore on the left. Anyone who pretends as much is willfully lying. If the non-crazy Republicans broke away from the lunatics, it would be a real moment of courage. But they'd lose elections for 20 years before the crazies were driven back into their holes. It's not happening. They made their choice long ago, and that means defending the Roy Moores of the party to any end. They'll seat him if he wins, just like they did Gianforte.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Smacking your stupid ass around has worked wonders for me.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

That suggests you don't have much of a solution.
    I'll ask again: If not a condemnation of McConnell, what was the meaning of your prior post discussing McConnell's upbraiding of Moore?

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's gross and concerning how ethnofascism has wormed its way into the Overton window, but we're a long way from them controlling the entirety of conservatism forever. Trump's win was still a fluke of vote-splitting and geography. Appalachian State didn't go on to win the Rose Bowl three straight years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.