1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Just about anything is debatable.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

“You laughed But did you consent?”

That seems like such an obvious follow-up.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

@Dick Whitman ain’t debating accuracy here. Beyond that, however, that’s fine by my standards. It’s when the drowsy set starts with the “misogyny” bullshit ... because somebody happened to be intrigued by the particulars of some thing or another ... that sticks in my craw.

jr/shotglass and Stoney like this.
  4. Jevans

Jevans Member

From what I have seen, many of the people giving the "misogyny" lectures are the worst of the bunch. Likely people protesting too much.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Misogyny in *this* culture on a board full of middle aged men?

Clearly a vain projection of miscreants.

6. Dick Whitman

I don’t think the Times came close to closing the loop on a lot of vital elements to this story. I’m almost always going to find how something is covered a more interesting topic than the thing itself. It’s just how I’m wired.

It doesn’t bother me in the least that Louis C.K. likes to jack off for women. It would bother me if he did so without obtaining consent. Whether he did so in these cases is unclear and I can’t tell that the Times even tried to find out. The weird fetish (it’s not even that weird) was more than enough to go with it.

Compare it the the Post story today. They pushed for every detail and made every relevant fact crystal clear.

7. RickStain

"They thought it was a joke and laughed it off. “And then he really did it,” Ms. Goodman said in an interview with The New York Times."

There it is. Third graf. Clearly states that they had not consented and he did it anyway.

Anyone who sees a mystery here *wanted* to see one.

8. Dick Whitman

No, it doesn’t.

9. RickStain

Yes, it does. And it's creepy and misogynistic to play your dumbass lawyer word games with cases like this, even though you think that you're doing it innocently.

10. Dick Whitman

“Laughed it off” may mean they said, “Sure, go ahead,” thinking they were joking back, and that he took it seriously. I can’t tell from the story. The reporter apparently didn’t ask.

11. Dick Whitman

You’re a fool.

12. RickStain

If it had played out precisely that way, it still wasn't meaningful consent and it still was sexual harassment. The fact that you think otherwise is your problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.