1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also, as someone referenced, it would be nice to be able to talk substance here without also having to defend yourself as a human being. But that’s Rick’s M.O. and long has been and it’s precisely the kind of thing I am not going to let goad me off the rails this time around. Overall I like it here too much.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

And yet he's famous and doesn't want to cum on women.

Question, Dick, how many of the 5 examples would you have been fine with the NYT running?

3. Dick Whitman

Maybe none. Maybe all five. The piece isn’t reported well enough for me to be able to make that determination.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

How much more reporting i.e. what questions do you want answered sufficiently to make it "well enough" for public consumption?

5. Dick Whitman

“Did you consent?”

6. Jevans

Jevans Member

Oh, it's on the board. But the people who constantly point it out are usually the biggest culprits.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Way to go. Be strong DW!
    # IstandWithDick

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

A lot of the arguments have hinged on this, but remember, these allegations range from the late 90s to 2005. Louis was a largely unknown standup and staff writer on shows no one watched. He was also the writer and director of "Pootie Tang," an embarrassing failure. He was not exactly a power broker.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

My wife kept coming back to that this morning.

“It said they saw him as an authority figure.”

“Where?”

“In the article.”

“It says, ‘He was a comedian they admired.’”

“And men have always been in charge forever. They still get paid better than women for the same jobs. Just a generation ago they were told they had to wear skirts just because men wanted them to.”

“You are responding to an imaginary text.”

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

You take that back this instant. Pootie Tang is a goddamn masterpiece. Wadda tah!

Donny in his element likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Whether anyone can give consent to someone in a position of authority is an interesting debate.

12. Dick Whitman

But, typefitter, the only time in the story I feel like it is even somewhat established that he was in a position of authority was the anonymous woman who worked “in production” on his show and clearly consented. The power dynamics are extremely vagued up. Yeah, it’s kind of shitty to hit on people who are rungs beneath you in the same business, or can be, at least. It also leads to happy marriages. The piece is so damn vague about this. The whole piece frustrates me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.