1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

@YankeeFan, do you condone Moore pedophiling a 14-year-old when he was 32?

Do you think he has enough time passed that it's cool for him to continue his candidacy?

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Your comment that the Washington Post was the nation's best newspaper gave me a half second of pause and then I remembered how badly the Times has stumbled on some of the big stories of this era and I quickly realized how much I agree. The Times used to throw so many resources at so many subjects around the world, it was impossible to compete with their ambition and depth, but the Post has consistently made better decisions and proved itself to be more nimble in recent years. (It also has a sense of humor about itself, which the Times has zero.) Still believe the Times influences more media than anyone, but the Post is the better media entity.

Hermes and Dick Whitman like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Two Post stories really turned my opinion: Its reporting on the “Rolling Stone” campus rape story and its reporting on Trump’s shell charities.

The Post is so damn thorough.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Post is also consistently better written and doesn't try as much to enforce a common writing style.

5. Double Down

Times deserves a lot of credit for the Weinstein stuff, and a lot of Michael Schmidt's reporting, and many of their big projects. But they screwed up the Clinton Foundation thing so badly, and McCain lobbyist thing is another example of a story they wanted but couldn't prove (the reporter quit in a tantrum, if I recall, because of how they watered it down). Haberman's inconsistency is pretty baffling. Twitter has done her no favors. That they ignored all of Farenthold's reporting on Trump's charity, and didn't get the Access Hollywood tape, and now didn't get this Moore story, would have been fodder for a 4,000-word "Has the Times lost its spot at the top?" media navel gazing story in another era.

Just remembered Post also had the big opioid story that made Marino withdraw from being the drug czar too!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When the focus of the news is in Washington, as it has been since the 2016 election, the Post has a natural advantage on many stories. After all, it's their home town. If the focus of the news goes elsewhere, especially when it goes outside the US, the Times has an edge.

7. melock

melock Well-Known Member

"Take Joseph and Mary. Mary was a teenager and Joseph was an adult carpenter. They became the parents of Jesus." I'm thinking he likes that defense

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Only if it’s made clear that the Senate would not agree to seat him, or if he made it clear he would not take the seat.

From what I’ve heard, he can’t be replaced on the ballot. (Though, wasn’t this supppsed to be the case in New Jersey a few years ago, and the Dems got a court to agree to allow a change? I’d be for trying that as well.)

If it’s clear that he’s just a place holder for some candidate to be appointed by the Governor, i'd vote for him, but I’d need to be convinced this was the case.

This story sickens me, as do the defenses of his behavior.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    tapintoamerica and Double Down like this.
  9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Lock Her Up might be the 2020 campaign slogan is Trumpy gets that far. And if our KellyAnne's wildest dream comes true

10. Double Down

Not sure I agree. Dan Berry does some great dispatches from around the country. The piece they did recently from a small town in Idaho gripped by Muslim panic over fake news was great. But Saslow writes four or five of those per year. Times hasn't had anything as good as his Newtown story, his Derek Black story, or his story on the girl who survived the Oregon shooting. And that doesn't even include the food stamp stories that won him a Pulitzer.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I’m still on Paris time. Went to bed at 6:00PM. Baby woke up hungry at 2:00AM.

Roy Moore is not someone I have any investment in, or have ever looked at as some leading light.

He won because he had name ID in Alabama.

Fuck him. He’s a piece of shit, and this behavior, like that of all the Hollywood monsters, was likely known by those in the circles he travelled. He should have been drummed out of public life 30 years ago, and this should have come out during the primaries.

And, there should be a special place in hell for people — like Whoopi Goldberg — who try to minimize the sexualition of a minor, and portray sex with a 14-year-old as anything less than rape.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think the Post vs. the Times vs. the Wall Street Journal (to a lesser extent, but did something good on the Flynn / Turkey story this morning, for example) trying to scoop each other has been a small consolation prize of Trump. We are watching what may be the last great newspaper war.

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.