1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Looks like the Times has the goods on him.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, it's gonna go on and on if people finally come forward. And the media's been primed for it, too. Sandusky, the Spotlight stuff, Cosby. Get ready to try half of the entertainment industry in the court of public opinion.

3. A producer, a pedophile and a rapist walks into a bar.
    And orders himself a drink.

(Rimshot)...

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Maybe the media should look in the mirror when it comes to changing the culture of objectification. Just read the Ally Raisman sex abuse story on MSN--positioned right next to a banner for tits and ass clickbait.

6. YankeeFan

This latest Ronan Farrow story is quite incredible.

The lengths this guy went to to torment and silence his victims is stunning, and that respected lawyers like David Bois were accomplices in this effort is really upsetting.

But, I'm really stunned by this:

For years, Weinstein had used private security agencies to investigate reporters. In the early aughts, as the journalist David Carr, who died in 2015, worked on a report on Weinstein for New York, Weinstein assigned Kroll to dig up unflattering information about him, according to a source close to the matter. Carr’s widow, Jill Rooney Carr, told me that her husband believed that he was being surveilled, though he didn’t know by whom. “He thought he was being followed,” she recalled. In one document, Weinstein’s investigators wrote that Carr had learned of McGowan’s allegation in the course of his reporting. Carr “wrote a number of critical/unflattering articles about HW over the years,” the document says, “none of which touched on the topic of women (due to fear of HW’s retaliation, according to HW).”

I assumed Carr missed the big story right in front of him. I figured he knew Weinstein was an asshole, and a bully, but not that he had learned that Weinstein was a rapist, and wasn't able to figure out a way to report that story.

But, Weinstein's own investigators say he learned of McGowan's allegation.

And, yet, he still came to this conclusion about him: "But all the legendary bad behavior cannot obscure an objective fact: Harvey Weinstein is a cultural good. "

I'm sorry. I liked reading David Carr, and I know he's not here to defend himself, but this seems like an incredible cop out.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. YankeeFan

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Was just a matter of time. I was going to suggest making a Bingo card and Wenner was going to be on it.

YankeeFan likes this.
  10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Shit, if any of us had a brain, he should have been the Free Space.

YankeeFan likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone has had quite a streak of self-inflicted harm.

Double Down likes this.
  12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Raises the possibility he contracted HIV from a guy and not a prostitute, which seemed to be the going assumption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.