1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Kantor's victory tour is disgraceful, especially in light of the poor reporting she did on the piece. She's supposed to be reporting a story, but she explicitly concedes her aim is to advance a cause. She should be ashamed and the New York Times should be ashamed.

2. Dick Whitman

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's going to kill himself.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There are lots of men out there (ahem) who think that because a woman didn't explicitly say no, she consented. So he would believe that he had consent. That doesn't mean he did. In fact, he did not, and his opinion that he did is immaterial.

The default should instead be that in order to consent, she must say yes.

The thorniest ground is when a woman says "yes" but might be in a position where she feels she can't say no.

5. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Well C.K. just released a statement saying the allegations are all true, so most of this discussion has been rendered moot.

6. Dick Whitman

There is so much to unpack here.

I'll start here:

The first time I kissed Mrs. Whitman, I didn't ask. She didn't say "yes" (or "no"). I just went for it. Same with some other, um, advances in the relationship, by both parties.

My initial instinct is that it seems ludicrous to me that the default is that the other party's interpretation in each of those instances would be "immaterial."

7. Dick Whitman

It's not at all moot. The reporting was terrible. Was he being accused of sexual assault? Indecent exposure? Sexual harassment? The reporters left very basic questioned unanswered and vagued up everything. It was a very poorly executed piece.

8. CD Boogie

Moot!

Jk. Your points are valid but no one will care now.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

How so?

This discussion has never been about whether the incidents happened--we all seem to have acknowledged they did. Instead, it's been centered around the story's omissions in other relevant areas (most specifically on the issue of consent, where he does not so concede, ie. "I never showed a woman my dick without asking first."). That discussion is in no way rendered moot by his statement.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. Dick Whitman

A similar statement likely must be on the way from Roy Moore, no?

11. CD Boogie

Yeah, right after the one from Trump

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Where are all the comments from the women of sj.com?

Exactly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.