1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Louis CK

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Nov 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

My wife gave the apology high marks too. I think the key to his career recovering will be no revelations more recent than those in the NYT story. I've seen a lot of people highlighting a lot of his masturbation material as proof of some weird, hypocritical double life. But I think if - and it's a big if - he had long since realized that this behavior was inappropriate and curtailed it, the material plays like a cowardly admission of guilt. Obviously, it would be better if these women wouldn't have had to come forward for him to directly hold himself accountable for his actions. But if the timeline is creepy behavior > moment of clarity > jokes that highlight the disgusting nature of such behavior, he can come back from it. If more women come out and he never actually stopped doing it, I think his only hope is taking a long break and hoping his scandal gets lost in the shuffle of more stories of celebrities behaving badly.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If any of these women and others want to sue him, was the apology a good idea?

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

No offense, but why?

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Do you masturbate to telling people about things you don't like?

Donny in his element likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The statute of limitations issues bars that threat from the women referenced in the apology/NYT article.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Huh?

8. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

The only portion of the apology that made me question the sincerity, where he notes that as bad as it was he always asked for permission first, seems like a safeguard. But I think the apology is his only chance of coming back. If he was defiant or played the victim he would be done. I mean, I don't want to speak too glowingly of an apology for those actions, but he didn't mince words in owning the pathetic, unacceptable, humiliating behavior.

And please trust me when I say I'm not trying to downplay the situation he put those women in or turn him into a martyr. I'm just curious how this ultimately plays out.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That he didn’t mention heading to rehab makes me think there aren’t recent incidents. Or at least I would hope so.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.