1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Okay. Read this, Dick's post from the Blatter thread, and tell me what it says. Because it sure reads to me like he's saying that ass grabbing is not sexual assault:

I’m sorry, but this shit is absolutely out of control. He allegedly grabbed her ass. That’s bad. He’s a heel if it’s true.

But now every headline I see, including this one and the one in my print paper this morning, blares something like, “Solo accuses Blatter of ‘13 sexual assault.”

For grabbing her ass.

It’s misleading. It’s sensationalism. And every news outlet in America seems to have bought into it because the underlying issue is important.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK ... I see where you’re coming from.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ooh. Fair enough, yeah.

It might have been sexual assault. But what state are we in? What is the law there? Civil? Criminal?

I’m running right now, but I’ll clarify later.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's not the first time he has made some questionable statements about definitions. He thinks we just don't misunderstand his pure journalistic concerns, but the problem lies deeper.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Did he consent?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The whole “pedantic/pedantry” bit ... I understand whence the criticism comes, but people should be careful to dismiss @Dick Whitman’s point(s) so casually. Guy I was pretty good friends with when I was in the dying stages of my journalism career, he’s gone waaaaaaaaaay SJW in the intervening years. Today on Facebook he bemoaned “rape culture [in which] a sexual assaulter is elected president [by defeating the wife of] a sexual assaulter.”*

I’d be remiss if I didn’t note his closing his post with this: “Not to mention our rape of Mother Earth.” I think he may come to regret that one.

*I’ve massaged the quote a bit to protect the guy.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was at the grocery store today and wondered how the National Enquirer would fit everything in and still save room for its weekly Hillary-bashing.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure if anybody mentioned that six women have accused director Brett Ratner of sexual harassment.

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/01/six-actresses-accuse-brett-ratner-of-sexual-harassment/

Ellen Page also said Ratner sexually harassed her and outed her on the set of X-Men: The Last Stand.

Gal Gadot already backed out of an event during which she was scheduled to present an award to Ratner and now Page Six is reporting she won't do Wonder Woman 2 unless Ratner and his company are completely removed from the franchise. A representative for Warner Bros. said the story is false.

https://pagesix.com/2017/11/11/gal-gadot-will-only-be-wonder-woman-again-if-brett-ratner-is-out/

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently, somebody didn't read the last post before adding one.

Vombatus likes this.
  11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

The button, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.