1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Are you being serious, or sarcastic?

He might have been mocked for it a little, but he wasn’t portrayed as some kind of deviant, or shunned by anyone because of the relationship.

And, obviously it is a little creepy. I think you’d have to be a pretty immature and/or insecure guy to date a 17-year-old, but it’s not illegal, and it’s miles away from trying to seduce a 14-year-old.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would be sexual assault if a male did that to a female but mere groping when a female did that to a male?

That’s your position, right?

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Don't act high and mighty. You said Sepp Blatter grabbing Hope Solo's ass wasn't sexual assault yesterday.

4. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

One of those blond trump women tweeted that..Ingram or I honestly can not remember her name--I always get them mixed up. I told her that it was different because they actually had a relationship. 1 or 2 years? Quite a bit different than having many relationships with multiple teenagers. Not much time in that kind of situation for long term relationships.
    There have always been relationships between people with large age gaps, some are genuine relationships and some are hanging out at a mall to pick up girls.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It’s a little different considering Lonstein turned 18 a few days after they met, but yeah, I don’t remember too many people, much less “the media,” trying to normalize it or act like it wasn’t creepy.

lakefront likes this.
  6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I tend to lean that way because like I said in that post...

""he is already in the position of dominance--generally speaking male over female. Lots and lots of fine points to this whole issue. Traditional male/female then we have gay/straight, gay/gay, etc. More complex than I would have ever thought and I have had 3 experiences my self. I don't know how we are suppose to figure this out.""

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Having a relationship makes it better? Why?

He got a 17-year-old’s phone number while walking through Central Park. That doesn’t sound much different than hanging out at the mall to meet teenagers to me.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It might be. It might not be. I wouldn’t put it in a headline, just like no one put it in a headline that Ben Affleck sexually assaulted the “TRL” host.

9. typefitter

I wouldn't say it's miles away. It's in the same neighbourhood.

I'm dating someone younger right now—43 and 32—and I feel weird about it sometimes. A 30-something-year-old man dating a 17-year-old is fucked up. Hell, I remember being weirded out by guys in university who were dating high-school girls. I don't know what the line is, and there are always exceptions to every rule, but I think teens should probably date other teens.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

She's 32. That's grandmotherly in some cultures.

11. typefitter

HED: HOPE SOLO RECEIVED AN UNSOLICITED SEXUAL TOUCH THAT MIGHT CONSTITUTE SEXUAL ASSAULT FROM SEPP BLATTER, BUT DICK WHITMAN ISN'T SURE SO WE'LL HAVE TO GET BACK TO YOU ON WHAT IT IS, EXACTLY, EVEN THOUGH WE WOULD CALL A SINGLE SLAP 'PHYSICAL ASSAULT' AND THERE ISN'T REALLY ANY REASON TO BE CONFUSED ABOUT THIS.

12. typefitter

Not in the one I live in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.