1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Because ----generally speaking--- a long term relationship is not the same as "dating" MANY teenagers. These 2 apparently had a connection DESPITE THE AGE DIFFERENCE, NOT BECAUSE OF IT.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Ben Affleck headlines weren’t that long.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

38 and 17 is still ... much.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The age difference was certainly a topic. In my memory, it was considered sort of odd, but not creepy.

I’m not sure why 17 vs. 18 makes it much different. I don’t believe it does in the eyes of the law. (No expert on age of consent laws.)

He would wait for her outside of her high school.

Even if you want to date younger, the girl should be out of high school, living on her own, and have some life experience

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

If she turned 18 a few days later, I don't consider her 17. Maturity also is a factor apparently she was very mature because THEY HAD A LONG TERM RELATIONSHIP. (consensual)

6. YankeeFan

I don’t say it’s miles away to excuse a relationship with a 17-year-old. But at those ages, the differences are exponential with each year.

7. YankeeFan

Roy Moore —and this is not to excuse it —is accused (among other things) of “dating” teenagers. If it had worked out with one, and he had a long term relationship with a girl he met while hanging out at the mall, that makes it better?

8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

So they're right?

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The power dynamic — whether physical or otherwise — does make a difference, I think.

I was at a party hosted by a woman who I don’t know very well but is good friends with one of my best friends. She’s attractive and, from what I understand, a little crazy. At one point in the evening, she walked by and grabbed my ass. As she walked away, she tossed her head over her shoulder, smiled at me and said, “I’m allowed to do that. I’m the host.”

I told my friend, “Dude, I think your friend just sexually harrassed me.” He said, “Probably. And you’re bragging about it.” And he was right. I was.

Had that situation been reversed, it would have been severely problematic. As it was, it was only slightly uncomfortable for me, and only because my then-girlfriend was there. Otherwise, I took it as drunken flirting. It’s not the same if the situation was reversed, for me, anyway, and we have to accept that.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

38 and 18 is still pushing it. And they had the relationship before she turned 18?

11. YankeeFan

This is bizarre. You don’t know that she was mature beyond her years. Maybe —and would it be any surprise having watched his act/show —he was very immature.

You sound like you think dating Jerry Seinfeld would be swell, so you’re ok with it, which sounds a lot like the mother of the 17-year-old in the Roy Moore story.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hope Solo, so far as I can tell, did not use the term “sexual assault.” The headline writer did. She explained what happened. Sepp Blatter grabbed her ass.

Ben Affleck grabbed a teen-age host’s breast on live television. No one used the term “sexual assault.” Slate called it “alleged sexual harassment” in the headline and “inappropriate behavior on camera toward television hosts” in the story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.