1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There’s a lot more to “adulthood” at 18 than there is being legally able to consent at 17.

I’m pretty sure she graduated high school a few weeks after they met, but regardless, yes, it’s creepy and weird. Like that old codger who married Anna Nicole Smith.

But when compared to Roy Moore or Roman Polanski, it’s nothing.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can’t tell if Blatter fondled her ass in a sexual way or smacked it like baseball players do. Inappropriate either way. But makes a difference, I think, when determining whether it was sexual assault or not.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Was there ... cupping?

[​IMG]

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You stud!

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fun fact: Matt LeBlanc and Louis CK went to elementary, junior high, and high school together.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There's probably some kind mathematical equation for their love quotient.

7. Dick Whitman

So far we have a poster on here wondering why Weinstein’s behavior is a big story because, hell, this is the casting couch, not the Vatican. Another does not think it is sexual assault when a woman walks up and fondles a man’s genitals without consent.

The real problem poster, though, is the one questioning whether the Sepp Blatter headlines are supported by the story.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That’s nothing!

9. Dick Whitman

Phrases like “assault,” “sexual assault,” “sexual harassment,” et al. all carry different connotations and, in fact, different specific definitions that vary depending on where you happen to be, geographically. I don’t understand why people who work with or have worked with words for a living think it’s pedantic to ask that they not lazily be used interchangeably. The specific choices have huge consequences for how the coverage is processed.

10. doctorquant

An aside ...

There was a woman in my doctoral program, early 30s when she joined. She promptly hooked up with this older chemistry professor whom she’d known as an undergraduate 10 years prior. They married in rather short order.

Now it’s 20 years later. She’s in her early 50s. He’s in his late 70s. She had a Facebook picture of him celebrating his birthday in, basically, a wheelchair a while back.

I’m thinking, you couldn’t do the math on that one and see where this was heading?

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, and if there was consistency in how they were applied, it would be less problematic.

Currently, it does seem like guys who are liked by the press and public — like Ben Affleck — get better headlines.

Or, if the accusor is a famous actress we all like, we the story is handled differently.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  12. doctorquant

I agree. I also see the others’ point(s). The only way out of this conundrum, as far as I can tell, is to have another coffee and then go to church.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.