1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Where were you on the Ben Affleck thread?

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, see, not to make you confront certain things before church, but I ask you: If you were to touch a female student's ass—however you wish: slap, cup, whatever—is there any way that could be seen other than sexual? Would you ever dream of giving a female student "a friendly tap on the ass"?

4. Dick Whitman

Didn’t Tom Hanks’ character slap a player’s ass in “A League of Their Own”? Am I misremembering?

5. typefitter

I have no idea. Probably trying to make a 32-year-old laugh hard enough to forget how ugly I am.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don’t know about that one, but it’s clear that by our working standard Hagrid committed sexual assault during the dance scene in The Goblet of Fire.

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

“Dream”? Maybe ... :D

8. typefitter

Well, thank God that thinking isn't the same as doing, otherwise we'd all be in prison.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Male bosses allowed to slap the ass of their male employees?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Ellen Page says we shouldn’t apply degrees to this. I don’t agree. Rape is not the same as fondling someone’s genitals is not the same as slapping someone on the ass is not the same as making a gross proposition to someone. This is very much like the “white supremacy” blow-up. On one hand, you shame behavior that merits shaming by sweeping it under a stigmatizing phrase. On the other, you’re draining the phrase of some of it’s previous stigmatizing power by expanding it. Humans know instinctually that from homicide to theft to sexual misconduct, some offenses are “worse” than others. Some are trying to drum out those distinctions. They won’t, and there are at least some unintended consequences.

SnarkShark likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It doesn’t get easier.

Wife is at the gym. I’m trying to decide if it’s too early to eat ice cream.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.