1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Enthusiastic, uncoerced, unambiguous

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And what if you're told 10 years later that the other person just made it seem like they felt that way because they felt pressured, or to please you because you had all the power? That the enthusiastic, uncoerced, unambiguous green light you thought you had was really the exact opposite?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Can we codify some legally-mandated unquestionable form of acceptance that ensures all three of those E,U,U requirements have been met?

I don't want to risk sounding like a neanderthalic pig (or worse yet, get the dreaded "misogyny" label tossed at me), but am I the only one who thinks these theoretical standards are too legalistic and unrealistic for normal red-blooded young people (of both genders) to be required to follow? "By god, an affirmative response is not enough, we must make sure the affirmation also fully adheres to the requisite enthusiastic, uncoerced and unambiguous standards--and in writing or otherwise recorded if you've any sense--before consent can ever be presumed...."

Nice concept for a message board, but this is never how romance has worked in the real world.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
    Batman likes this.
  4. RickStain

Then you apologize, try to learn why you misread the situation and hope you don't do it again.

5. RickStain

I don't have a sense of how many people here are married, but it seems like a lot are. I'm divorced, in my 30s and dating somewhat actively. I haven't had the slightest problem following these standards, and women seem to appreciate it.

It's really not hard or onerous.

Are you *really* finding yourself in ambiguous situations under these standards, or are you fake asking to imply that it's unreasonable?

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I’ve never had a problem with that standard, either. But it still presents problems.

We’ve worked our way into an environment where consent doesn’t necessarily mean consent. That’s absurd.

I understand the dynamics and the issues of power, and the problems they present.

But at some point people need to be accountable for themselves.

Stoney likes this.
  7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he was talking about his adult self. The dynamics aren't the same for people when they start having sex, often at a very young age.

Though come to think of it, there may have been a time or two during our 18 years of marriage that I touched my wife without asking permission first. Should I be concerned?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

“Groped.”

Was HW suffering from dementia in 2003? Will Andrea Mitchell blast this woman, who was a teenager at the time?

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

We're engineering ourselves out of existence.

It's the year 2078 ...

Man: Hi, I'm Male 39XY3B851

Woman: All your consent are belong to us.

Vombatus likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think more concerning under RickStain’s standard (I am not playing “gotcha” here, at all) would be nights within a marriage when consent by either side is unenthusiastic. Rick has been pushed on points like this in the past and has brushed it off along the lines of, “You’re just being obtuse. Of course people know, in context, whether there was consent.”

11. Dick Whitman

We like H.W., silly.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Dick Whitman

We don’t like FIFA.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.