1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I knew that in the end it’d all come down to those evil right-wingers.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I gotta say, funny as that is, I kind of shudder at it ...

franticscribe likes this.
  3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This has a lot of potential:

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have CNBC on in the background while I am working. Some Republican Congresswoman, Diane Black, from Tennessee was on a few minutes ago, trying to sell the tax bill. She is the chair of the House Budget Committee. She had no idea what carried interest was! She sounded like an absolute moron -- talking about the interest on auto dealership inventories, in response to a question about carried interest and how, for example, hedge funds don't pay income tax on it. After the hosts very charitably tried to explain it to her like she was a kindergartner, she ended the interview by saying, "Why don't you have me on another time, so we can talk about that?"

This is the type of person we have lording over businesses and individuals with the power to pass costly regulatoin and taxation schemes that mess with what we earn. It's bad enough the whole exercise is a cesspool of corruption with special interests all trying to buy preference. On top of it, we have absolute idiots like her wielding that kind of power. Damn. I just looked, the woman is running for Governor of Tennessee. America gets what it deserves.

heyabbott, lakefront and poindexter like this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The general level of ignorance about finance among pols (there are some experts on both sides of the aisle) is equaled only by the general level of ignorance about politics among financial types (again, there are exceptions).

8. The Big Ragu

OK, general ignorance among elected officials. Get it. But the woman chairs the House Budget Committee! How can you be in charge of the Federal Budget when you don't even have a BASIC handle on where the money to pay for your bullshit comes from?

EDIT: Actually, how can you even vote on a tax bill in good conscience, when you have no clue what the bill actually does to people and their lives? (obviously a rhetorical question)

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

10. The Big Ragu

First of all, the photo in his tweet isn't of a pizza. It looks like a skillet filled with marinara sauce. Secondly, what do you expect when you elect a commie to be mayor of New York? Third of all (this photo said it all):

[​IMG]

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Deep-dish pizza might be the most overrated food of all time.

He's stupid for liking it.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Under Ryan, and to a lesser but still significant degree under Pelosi, committee chairpeople have little influence on writing legislation, which is done by the leadership team and their aides. She's just a vote. It wasn't a very good idea to let her be a mouthpiece on TV, but Ryan is not an astute legislative leader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.