1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jerry Jones threatens to go scorched earth on Goodell, owners

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Christie really is good at sports talk radio.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd love for someone to name Goodell's accomplishments. I know he f's up practically every thing he's touched. Deflategate. Ray Rice. Bountygate. Catch process. Getting into domestic violence *beyond* what the courts and police investigate. The impossibly long replay delays.

WE CAN'T EVEN FIGURE OUT WHAT A CATCH IS! YES, I AM YELLING!

I am watching the Ram game, Rams hit Savage, fumble, recovery... but wait. Five minute delay. Possible tuck rule issue. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WE STILL HAVE THE TUCK RULE?

Here's the catch rule. The receiver has possession of the ball. If he then falls to the ground, and the ball comes out, its nothing. Just like a ball carrier.
    Here's the shitcan of the Tuck Rule: If the ball is popped out of the qb's hand before he lets go, its a fumble. There. Done.

Adam Silver makes $10 million a year. He is an attorney. He is sharp. Smart. Eloquent.
    Tagliabue made $6 million a year when he left in 2006.

The Ginger Spokesape makes $40 million dollars?

TELL THAT GUY TO HIT THE BRICKS. Call his bluff. Lets see what other offers he has.
    [​IMG]

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Smilin' Stan married one of Bud or Sam Walton's daughters, then began building his empire. Bill Laurie, father of paid to have her work done at USC daughter Paige, did similar if not the same.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have no argument regarding the overall point, though blaming him for the rules mess regarding the definition of a catch is a bit much. There is a case to be made that Goodell should be gone, or at least that he should be forced to choose between leaving or taking a pay cut.

But if anything, the tactics employed by Jones made Goodell's job safer. By attacking the other owners, he probably made it more likely that they dig in than listen.

5. poindexter

Why? It is the #1 on field irritant with fans. Or 1a with the replay issues. GET THE FUCKING THING FIXED, ROGER.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not arguing the substance of your post. But the NBA earns about a third of what the NFL does. It's not unreasonable to expect that the NFL commissioner would earn quite a bit more than the NBA commissioner. Also, the commissioner of the NFL, whether it is Goodell or someone else, is a tougher job, because when players or the teams fuck up, it gets an inordinate amount of attention -- due to how great the fan interest is. I am not arguing that he hasn't been a lightning rod, or that he is as polished or good at PR the way, say. that Pete Rozelle was. But some of the things that have come up during his tenure -- Bountygate, CTE, Ray Rice, Kaepernick, etc. ... Even if he had handled them perfectly, he was guaranteed to piss off some segment of the population. And it was guaranteed to get a lot of attention, because the NFL is so big, and it naturally becomes a lightning rod for social issues -- whether it is spousal abuse, racial issues, etc.

Here is how I see certain things with regard to Goodell. ... As the public face of the league, he has sucked. But from the owners' perspective, dollar signs are what matter most. Prior to becoming commissioner, Goodell did a number of things with the league's business operations that grew the NFL to where it is today. While he was in charge of NFL Ventures, the media properties, marketing and licensing really took off. As commissioner, he was the primary reason for the last collective bargaining agreement, which was beneficial to the owners, and he has expanded the league, helped bring about several new stadiums. ... and most importantly, secured some ridiculous TV contracts that have made those owners a lot of money. They don't forget that sort of thing.

Now, though, the PR flow has become a nightmare, and the last few seasons, ratings have really started to fall off. So, if it is a "what have you done for me, lately?" kind of job, yeah, he doesn't have the leverage his opening salvo suggests he thinks he has.

As I said, as the public face of the NFL, he has a way of just annoying a lot of people. But the stuff that is mostly contributing to the decline in ratings and is likely going to hit the bottom line moving forward and will likely make it so the next media contracts are going to be a tougher sell. ... I don't think it has anything to do with Roger Goodell. I think the sport itself is flawed, and as more CTE stories come out, fewer and fewer moms are going to let their kids play football. ... and interest is going to continue to wane. Put someone else in there and that likely isn't changing.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Whoa, that story includes a link to this one from Michael McCann in MMQB regarding the Papa John's CEO:

A source familiar with Kaepernick’s grievance tells The MMQB that Jones may have played a key role in crafting Schnatter’s sharp statement. If this proves accurate, Kaepernick will argue that Jones has played an instrumental role in encouraging teams to view the protests of Kaepernick and other NFL players in a negative light.

Kaepernick Collusion: Jones, Kraft to be deposed

Could that be what they're after in the discovery request for Jones' phone?

9. poindexter

I could also look at in terms of sabermetrics. What would the replacement cost be for a career staffer, who hasn't wrapped his arms around one goddamn hot button issue during his tenure (Bountygate, CTE, Ray Rice, Kaepernick) and in fact, made many (Bountygate, Ray Rice, Deflategate)?
    In fact, with Bountygate, Deflategate and Ray Rice, he made it worse with his ham-handed style.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The Tuck Rule was repealed four years ago. Don't know what you saw in the Rams game.

11. poindexter

Are you shitting me? The announcers were speculating that was the reason for the delay.

MY BAD. I AM SORRY.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted