1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What percentage of juries would you guess get it right? Better than 98%?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The two percent tend to fall apart pretty quickly under examination.

Your fear that men are being falsely accused with no recourse is not based on any actual cases. It is at best unreasonable.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's not a dodge. The question itself isn't worth answering.

Your statement that "evidence of sexual assault, in the majority of cases, is not different than evidence of consensual sex," I thought was worth exploring, if only because it appears carefully written so as to entice disagreement.

I think we'd need to know what crimes are being included in the term sexual assault. If we're talking about only rape, that seems like it's off base. If we're including, rape, unwanted kissing, groping, etc., then it seems indisputable.

We'd also need to know more about what type of evidence you're talking about. As written, the statement is easily defensible by noting "evidence of sexual assault ..." is the same as saying "some evidence of sexual assault ..."

For instance, DNA evidence, obviously, is present after a rape or consensual sex and, therefore, is "not different." Genital injury, on the other hand, is far more prevalent in rape than in consensual sex, and thus, is more indicative of a criminal act. Of course, neither example, by itself, is proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

FWIW, the notion that 70 percent of rape victims receive no physical injury, as claimed by Vaughn C. Jones, random attorney-at-law, seems suspect, at best.

4. RickStain

So far, the only example case brought up for why men should fear their reputations and lives being ruined by false accusations is Patrick Kane, who did not face legal consequences and remains wildly popular.

Not a strong case so far

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

@doctorquant, your quote isn’t showing up, but this is for you:

Do you by chance remember why I said the college process was a flawed process that should be changed?

Hint: Because it lacks due process.

But, yes, within the constraints of a flawed and legally questionable “system,” I would rather a man get wrongfully expelled than a victim get shamed into silence.

6. Guy_Incognito

Duke LAX, Steve Pogones, the conservative guy described but not named by Lena Dunham.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It didn’t even go to trial, which I’m sure you remember, because you and I discussed at great length how quickly and spectacularly it fell apart.

8. RickStain

Two more examples that false accusations are easily ferreted out

9. Guy_Incognito

Um, that makes you pretty difficult to disagree with, no? You're insisting that it's rare because we can't come up with examples, and then saying that any case we know of doesn't count.

YankeeFan and SnarkShark like this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why try cases?

11. RickStain

I asked for examples of a man's life being ruined.

If you are proven innocent, your life isn't exactly ruined

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Was the Duke lacrosse case an actual case?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.