1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I have bad news for you: That’s all ANY of this shit is.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How low? Should we even try cases?

3. MisterCreosote

Jesus. How many times do you want me to answer this stupid question?

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I feel like I made my lack of desire to debate this with you clear, but in case I was not clear: barbed wire, my asshole, on the way out, instead.

5. Dick Whitman

You believe in due process. But ... less due process? Is that your position?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This all sounds well and good, but it rests on a faulty premise: Guilty men don’t go free (as we’re discussing it) because women aren’t believed. Guilty men go free because we don’t know who to believe.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Should we try cases?

8. Dick Whitman

It’s also patronizing as hell.

I believe accusers!

Great. How will you apply that to ensure more perpetrators are brought to justice?

*Cracks a poop joke*

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

False convictions are an unfortunate inevitability of our legal system.

Given that the posters who are deeply concerned with their prevalence routinely had to go back decades to find these examples shows that false convictions and even accusations are no more prevalent than for any other crime.

Everybody understands that conviction should require a full investigation and a fair trial, for all crimes.

But this is the only crime that inevitably brings out this level of push back. Not every thread about a robbery focuses on the possibility that the entire thing was an elaborate hoax by the person relieved of their possessions, even though it is possible and does happen. Not every accusation of murder is immediately met with a chorus of men (and make no mistake, it is always men) who are deeply concerned with the possibility that the victim escaped to Mexico, planted a fake body and set up the accused.

Sometimes it is intentional, sometimes it is reflexive, but the hysteria about false accusations is nothing more than the continued gaslighting of women by men. It is a thinly veiled "bitches be cray."

Double Down likes this.
  10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm not sure "We don't know who to believe" is that far afield from "We don't believe her."

11. MisterCreosote

[​IMG]

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No? I think it’s light-years removed.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.