1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Even The Wolf likely can't clean up Harvey Weinstein's pending troubles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Double Down, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know, dude, I think this is where that word nuance comes into play.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why is due process so much more important than preventing and punishing sexual assault?

This isn’t an unprecedented viewpoint. Universities have famously watered down due process because they performed the calculus I keep noting here: Minimal wrongful convictions, because accusers typically tell the truth. Lots and lots more sexual assaults punished and prevented.

Why is due process a sacred cow?

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because it's the cornerstone of our judicial system.

lakefront likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

So what?

5. Dick Whitman

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It's not about a win here. It's about a real discussion of the issue, which means facing the tough questions that face our points of view rather than running from them.

8. Dick Whitman

There's nothing to win. The question is why is due process afforded when eliminating it for this set of crimes would yield so many benefits with minimal harm, if we take the statistics about false accusations and progressive thought about the myth of "gray area consent" at face value.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I mean, it goes back to King George. I think you know the answer to this.

10. Dick Whitman

That's the reason?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's like you went down a dead end, refused to turn around and are now bouncing along a field in the wilderness.

The Reason article appears to disagree with Annaleigh Curtis' and instead concludes that calls for improvements in due process in campus tribunals (relative to the Obama-era regulations) were mostly legitimate. That's still not incompatible with the fact that unscrupulous people often try to shield themselves from public condemnation behind their judicial right to due process.

Many, many people have learned the hard way that the right of due process doesn't extend to the court of public opinion, which is a good thing. Ask OJ.

12. Dick Whitman

It does disagree with Curtis's article. It takes the rock-solid position that due process is important because due process is important.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.